Replacement windows in IL

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dianar33

Replacement windows in IL

#1 Post by dianar33 »

I am currently getting quotes for replacement windows in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago. My first quote is from Renewal by Andersen (40k) and the next from a family owned company offering Advanced Window Corp 6300 series for 16k. I am a bit overwhelmed by this process and would really appreciate any recommendations on what windows to purchase and who would be a good, reputable, honest person to work with in this process.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Replacement windows in IL

#2 Post by masterext »

The fact that renewal is only quoting 40k, Im guessing you only have 2 small bathroom windows? Ask if you can be used as the model home, they may take 25 grand off. Lol…Fyi, advance doesnt make a very good window.

There is a well regarded pro who comes to this board to answer questions by the name of “HomeSealed” which also happens to be the name of his company. He is a great guy and is a true window pro. He is just over the border in wisconsin but does serve your area from what I remember. I would definitely reach out to him if i were you. He offers a very energy efficient product that outperforms both of those products by a rather large margin and definitely much better priced than renewal.

dianar33

#3 Post by dianar33 »

Thank you for taking the time to share a response! I will reach out to the gentleman you referenced.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Im sure you will like him. He is a very nice guy .

dianar33

#5 Post by dianar33 »

One thing that has concerned me throughout this entire process is the lack of pricing detail/transparency. I don't understand why the quotes do not include the cost of the window and the cost of the labor. It definitely is making it more difficult and I'm about ready to live w/the old windows. I've researched the different windows and watched some YouTube videos (there are many from Houston Window Experts that are quite informative). Also, many will ask that all decision makers are present when they come to quote and according to my research this is a red flag... I just want some good quality windows for my home with a quality installation. I feel like it shouldn't be this difficult. Rant over ;)

uncle eddie

#6 Post by uncle eddie »

What concerns you about that? Do you ask for the material and labor price at the restaurant? No, that would be stupid. Its stupid here as well. Youre buying an installed service and the price is what it is. Compare one company to the next until your heart is content, but trying to analyze how and why a price was calculated is farting in the wind. It won't be an apples to apples comparison and it will just confuse you more. For the "decision maker" thing, if they aren't asking for it they probably aren't running an efficient business. Its not a red flag. A company that actually refuses to come see you unless both people are there can be a red flag, that's a different story. Don't confuse the two.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Most reasonable companies will give you a break down upon request but in the end it doesn’t matter. I’d focus on the installation details instead.
Having both present is for sure a sales tactic, and I am not one for it. How they go about it really is the key, expect some salesmanship, but a hard sell gives these tactics a bad rap.

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

Guess that makes me unreasonable, since I won’t separate labor from materials. There’s no reason to since I will not sell the windows without installing them, and I won’t install windows that I don’t provide.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

We have some of the installation options indicated on our quotes, but the numbers are only placeholders and aren't representative of the total cost to complete said modification or labor process. We just have it there so that the client knows they are getting "X, Y, and Z". Installs are slightly different up here than in some parts so there is some variability in the options.

We have been asked for itemized pricing on our labor before as well and seeing as we do not sell product only, we politely refused as well. This is not a situation where the client is going to a design center and picking out finishes and tile based on a budget number.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

I’m getting old and the idea of selling product only is starting to sound good to me. Whenever client wants a breakdown which is rare and pointless for the reasons mentioned I just price them out at list pricing. I understand the resistance but it is super easy to do.I’m not gonna let a . 50k+job go for not putting out a Number I already know.l

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

I agree...you are old.

:D

dianar33

#12 Post by dianar33 »

All good comments and very much appreciate the responses. I am down to the following ...

Advanced Series 6300 15k
Okna Evo 7500 32k
Andersen 100 21k
Marvin Infinity 28k

A coworker purchased the Advanced windows 2 years ago and so far so good but that doesn't seem like a long time to really know what you got...and they are a lot less than all of the others so makes me pause. I'm curious how the others compare.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I dinked around on the AWC website. Not impressed. 20 year seal failure warranty, unless you use super spacer then it drops to ten year.
Their test sample size is large, 44 x 75. Even so I do not like the air leakage at .10 or .115
I would ask the Evo quote if he can quote EnviroStar so you can compare. Also ask for the AL for both.
The Marvin is a nice window, look for a Marvin dealer that connect you to a trained Marvin installer and check out Essential or Elevate quotes.
Ask for their AL too.
I sit important to you to have no draft or a little draft?

theWindowNerd

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

A 20 year warranty against seal failure is fairly standard, interesting they drop it to 10 for the Superspacer.
I like to compare air leakage numbers to the same sample size. Not sure What type of windows you are looking at (double -hung, casements, sliders,ect) as this will have an effect on the air numbers as well.
Good luck at finding or getting air numbers from Marvin.

kpytoi9

#15 Post by kpytoi9 »

How many windows are you replacing? What kind of windows?