just replacing the window glass instead of the entire window.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
HomeSealed

Re: just replacing the window glass instead of the entire window.

#31 Post by HomeSealed »

Here's the exterior of a window downsized to fit inside the drywall return. Its very much like a pocket install in form and function, and just as common. Maybe it's a midwest thing? We've seen great success with this option over the years, and the cost savings compared to a new construction style install is certainly passed to the customer if they opt for it.

You don't need much space between the drywall and frame as there's plenty of room for foam to the exterior side where the drywall doesn't extend all the way out. The interior frame reveal is similar to pockets when stops are added.

724BADC2-06AE-433C-BD26-653B8751718B_1_201_a.jpeg

toddinmn

#32 Post by toddinmn »

That’s a beautiful job Brandon. Doing a finned job on that would add much cost and tying into the weather barrier system can be difficult in a situation like that .

dallasite2

#33 Post by dallasite2 »

HomeSealed wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:08 pm Its hard to say with certainty not seeing things in person, but the short answer is that yes, setting the window to project to the exterior can cause issues and look tacky-- especially if no nail fin is used. That's probably the worst possible practice in this situation IMO.

The two ways to bring the window inward are to trim back the drywall as mentioned, or shrink the width and height by 3/4" on each side so it slides into the drywall return. That is a pretty common method. The blinds would need to be moved in either way, how much depends on the jamb depth difference between the current and new windows.

If you were going to go through the trouble to have the drywall returns cut back and blinds moved, I'd DEFINITELY opt for an install with nail fin.
ok, thanks for all the additional info. In my case, the current cheap plygem windows frame is 2 5/8" deep. The NT presidential window frame I am wanting to install is 3 1/4" deep. If I have calculated this properly, the NT window will stick out 0.625" more. Attached are pictures of 2 of the 7 windows I currently have installed in hardieboard/wood. Currently, all but one are pretty much flush with the trim. There is this one of of these 7 windows that currently protrudes past the trim by just a little, not sure why this window is different than the other 6 which are flush. Anyway, if I do not get the drywall cut back for all these windows, the new windows will stick out a little more than 1/2" past the trim as it currently is. I've been told by just about all the installers that I've seen so far that some trim can be added to this to give it a more finished look. So the question is, do I have all the drywall cut back by 0.625", which would require re-placement of all the blinds, or have the 0.625" trimmed up on the outside?

It seems that 1/2" is not that much and if it can be trimmed out for a finished look, might be ok. Its certainly not like the one example randy showed which is almost the entire window sitting outside the wall cavity. that looks awful and a potential leak disaster.

current plygem windows (6 out of 7 are flush with the trim like this:)
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (39.75 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
Current plygem windows. The 1 window out of 7 that protrudes past the trim a little (this window is covered by a porch ceiling):
Screenshot 2022-03-04 090735.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-04 090735.jpg (101.04 KiB) Viewed 3592 times

dallasite2

#34 Post by dallasite2 »

Randy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:13 pm When you jump the sheetrock and sill, you end up having to add additional trim to the exterior of the window (photo attached). If you like the look of the additional trim, go ahead with the contractor who installs this way. It is certainly a lot faster and cheaper on them.
IMG_6540.JPG

The first photo shows the extra trim. The second photo shows what the window can look like when it extends past the exterior trim. Personally, I would never use either method.
randy, yes these both look bad. that second one is not just past the trim, it looks like almost the entire depth of the window is sticking out.

dallasite2

#35 Post by dallasite2 »

HomeSealed wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:00 pm Here's the exterior of a window downsized to fit inside the drywall return. Its very much like a pocket install in form and function, and just as common. Maybe it's a midwest thing? We've seen great success with this option over the years, and the cost savings compared to a new construction style install is certainly passed to the customer if they opt for it.

You don't need much space between the drywall and frame as there's plenty of room for foam to the exterior side where the drywall doesn't extend all the way out. The interior frame reveal is similar to pockets when stops are added.

724BADC2-06AE-433C-BD26-653B8751718B_1_201_a.jpeg
Ok, know I understand what you mean by downsize. thanks!