Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Marco88

Re: Window pricing for MN

#16 Post by Marco88 »

I just spoke to Soft Lite and unfortunately the super spacer is only an option on the softlite elements. Apparently according to them the imperial elites no longer have access to the super space either citing price point issues. Whatever that means. Looks like the contractor im working knows his stuff and knows it well.

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

Marco88 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:57 pm We really like the soft lite over the provia as well. An issue we ran into with the elements dealer was that they went and cashed our check which was half the total even after we spoke about cancelling and them receiving a formal letter stating our cancellation. They had even given us a couple of weeks to go out and get bids and we were honestly thinking of going with them but the cashed check left a bad taste in my mouth. Kinda shady really.

The Imperial Elite dealer was pretty solid but did mention that Softlite isn't using the super spacer anymore because they lost the contract with the manufacture and are instead resulting to installing their spacers by hand. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Also they're super backed up on the labor end it would be minimum 18 weeks until installation. Not a big deal but something to think about. I haven't been able to find another imperial elite dealer in my area but I'm still searching

Does anyone know anything about Silex windows out of Winnipeg, Canada? The elite dealer also sells those windows.
What did you find shady about them cashing your check? Are you sure that they didn't do so prior to you discussing the possible cancellation? At the end of the day they aren't gaining anything, its more of a hassle to them to have to write you a refund check... I can't speak for what they do or how they do it, but unless we are asked to hold a check we cash them immediately for security reasons. The last thing we want is a customer's check floating around and getting lost.

As far as the Elite dealer, 18 weeks isn't crazy these days. IMO, I like companies that underpromise and overdeliver as opposed to the opposite. Much better to prepare for 18 weeks and get them in 12 given the volatility of the industry delays. That's really the toughest part to navigate.

On Silex, I'm not familiar but they look interesting. Air leakage number isn't great at .09 and that is a larger than normal size tested, but not awful . I wouldn't expect the lead time issue to be improved with that product, in my experience Canadian manufacturers are on the slower end in part due to the logistics involved.

Ricknez

#18 Post by Ricknez »

I am in agreement. There is nothing shady about them cashing your check. You cancel, they send you out a check. Whats the big deal with that?

Marco88

#19 Post by Marco88 »

The issue arose in that we had spoken on a Monday and stated we were canceling. They had full knowledge that we canceled but instead of destroying or returning the check they ended up cashing it 3 days later. That to me was the shady part.

Windows on Washington

#20 Post by Windows on Washington »

Very likely that it was in a deposit batch. We do the same thing sometimes and it's easy enough to miss.

Not trying to dog-pile here, but we process deposits in a manner that I could see something like this happening.

Marco88

#21 Post by Marco88 »

Ahh. Understood. Well the imperial elite contractor came back with the provia quote. Same as softlite in terms of specs (triple pane, white on white, insert) at $11,845.00.

Windows on Washington

#22 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is the air infiltration comparison like as well? That is the only data point I don't see covered.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#23 Post by masterext »

I think the soft lite is the better window and soft lite are a very legitimate window manufacturer. Although provia doesnt make a bad window, to me they will always be a door company. I am also not fond of the way they foam fill their extrusion which to me is a joke.
Last edited by masterext on Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#24 Post by HomeSealed »

I wouldn't consider the provia window. You have two nice SL options, neither of which have major red flags based on what you've stated so far. I'd pick whichever you prefer between those two.