Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Marco88

#1 Post by Marco88 »

Last edited by Marco88 on Thu May 12, 2022 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ricknez

Re: Window pricing for MN

#2 Post by Ricknez »

Thats a nice window, you will really like the Elements. Good choice !

Marco88

#3 Post by Marco88 »

Last edited by Marco88 on Thu May 12, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Be careful about getting stuck comparing your cost to someone else's. When did he get that price (price increases come several times per year these days)?
What were the installation details?
Other product options, sizes, etc...
What about the company that each of you are working with, perhaps one has a superior reputation? If they pay their installers more, as well as their support staff to deliver great service, those are all things that affect pricing as well.

Could you find a lower price? Possibly. That said, you picked a great choice and that price isn't crazy high these days, you could DEFINITELY have done worse. There are companies north of $2k on that window, I'd say that you are in a normal range.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I would recommend doing what your comfortable with and I see no harm in getting other bids and personaly recommend it as long as there apples to apples bids.If the if the Pro-Via is dual pane I’d ask to upgrade to triple pane or ask the Soft-Lite dealer to downgrade to dual pane. There both good windows but the Soft-Lite is better.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If “toddinmn” services your area you should ask him to quote you.
He is a straight shooter. He is not an arm twister, you can make your decision with confidence.
TheWindowNerd

Marco88

#7 Post by Marco88 »

I'm in Minneapolis, ToddinMN. Is this an area you service and would be willing to quote me?

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I would just add that I agree with the others, if you truly aren't confident in your choice, taking some time isn't the worst thing that you can do. You could do far worse on product and price and that was the point of my previous comment. If you love everything about that option but are just second guessing the price, I'd say don't worry and move forward... but if you have other lingering concerns where you feel these guys aren't trustworthy or something like that, that is a different story.
I'd also add that if Todd is taking on business in your area he would be a good guy guy to talk to.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

I don’t do installs for the private sector.

Marco88

#10 Post by Marco88 »

Last edited by Marco88 on Thu May 12, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

If the product options are all equal, you'd be justified in choosing that Imperial Elite over the Elements its almost the same window minus some bells and whistles.

I'd definitely vet both installing dealers though. The company that you choose will PROFOUNDLY affect your experience from installation quality, customer service, future service of product and install, likelihood that they will still be in business to serve you in 5, 10+ years, etc. I'd pay 12% more for a company that was measurably better installing the same product.... then again, if the Elite dealer also has a better history and reputation and you get the warm and fuzzies about them, pick that option and take your savings to the bank.

Your other new options are aren't compelling IMO. Restorations would be if these were casements, but not at a premium in DH config. Provia is not on the same level as your other options IMO.

Marco88

#12 Post by Marco88 »

We really like the soft lite over the provia as well. An issue we ran into with the elements dealer was that they went and cashed our check which was half the total even after we spoke about cancelling and them receiving a formal letter stating our cancellation. They had even given us a couple of weeks to go out and get bids and we were honestly thinking of going with them but the cashed check left a bad taste in my mouth. Kinda shady really.

The Imperial Elite dealer was pretty solid but did mention that Softlite isn't using the super spacer anymore because they lost the contract with the manufacture and are instead resulting to installing their spacers by hand. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Also they're super backed up on the labor end it would be minimum 18 weeks until installation. Not a big deal but something to think about. I haven't been able to find another imperial elite dealer in my area but I'm still searching

Does anyone know anything about Silex windows out of Winnipeg, Canada? The elite dealer also sells those windows.

Ricknez

#13 Post by Ricknez »

News to me. Soft Lite doesnt use super spacer on the Elements either ?

Marco88

#14 Post by Marco88 »

Well I believe it's standard on the elements. And it's an upgrade option on the imperial elite. On the brochure for imperial elite it says they use the stainless steel intercept spacer but can upgrade to the super spacer. Which after reading the forums on here from 2007ish, is just as good as the super spacer. As long as it's stainless steel and not a tin based spacer.

jesoonster

#15 Post by jesoonster »

Though I'm not an expert like yall, I'm obsessed with the right components as I purchase my softlite and I asked this question to the soft-lite corporate regarding super spacer vs. intercept SS. They said this is dependent by dealer and the glass packages they buy. Some dealers you can and some you can't so lucky to you who has the option to get super spacer :) I don't... :(