Sunrise Vanguard Weep hole

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
novicehomeowner22

Sunrise Vanguard Weep hole

#1 Post by novicehomeowner22 »

Good Day to all,

I received a demo and quote for Sunrise Vanguard line of windows. In the demo I noticed that this line does not have any weep holes. The dealer mentioned that this is by design and not to worry about rain water accumulating as the sill slope will take care of the water going off even if it enters from the screen door.
My whole reason for starting this window replacement project is because my 2nd floor window started leaking rain water.
So my question is; will absence of weep holes in this vanguard line cause issues if I were to select this window? I am seeing that sunrise vanguard line is considered a very good vinyl window and hence this question.

To add I am looking for double hung windows.

Thanks in advance.

Randy

Re: Sunrise Vanguard Weep hole

#2 Post by Randy »

Single or double hung windows should not have weep holes. They are a sign of a poor design in anything other than sliders. Keeping water out of the sill will help prevent leaks, not increase the likelihood.

The Sunrise Vanguard is an upper line of vinyl windows.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

I agree with Randy. The Vanguard is a higher end window and well designed. Windows that utilize weep holes are poorly designed and its cheaper for the manufacturer. The Vanguard drains water under the screen just like a wood window.
Weep holes are “ pocket sill “ designs and are more prone to clogging amd causing leaks.
The ONLY time weep holes are acceptable are on slider windows which by design have a different drainage system than a double hung.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've been installing regular Sunrise base and Vanguard series DH units since 2004 and have never had one not irrigate water correctly as designed with the pitched sill. I've had issues with one of the patio sliding doors that was installed into a hostile on the river storm area that can have some water draining issues once every couple of years due the sheer amount of direct rain during a really bad storm with no roof protection.

Vanguards, Verde, and Restorations are widely considered some of the better vinyl offerings out there as long as the dealer checks out with quality installs and reputation.

novicehomeowner22

#5 Post by novicehomeowner22 »

Randy wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:16 am Single or double hung windows should not have weep holes. They are a sign of a poor design in anything other than sliders. Keeping water out of the sill will help prevent leaks, not increase the likelihood.

The Sunrise Vanguard is an upper line of vinyl windows.
Thanks Randy.

novicehomeowner22

#6 Post by novicehomeowner22 »

masterext wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:16 am I agree with Randy. The Vanguard is a higher end window and well designed. Windows that utilize weep holes are poorly designed and its cheaper for the manufacturer. The Vanguard drains water under the screen just like a wood window.
Weep holes are “ pocket sill “ designs and are more prone to clogging amd causing leaks.
The ONLY time weep holes are acceptable are on slider windows which by design have a different drainage system than a double hung.
Thanks Masterext

novicehomeowner22

#7 Post by novicehomeowner22 »

Delaware Mike wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:38 pm I've been installing regular Sunrise base and Vanguard series DH units since 2004 and have never had one not irrigate water correctly as designed with the pitched sill. I've had issues with one of the patio sliding doors that was installed into a hostile on the river storm area that can have some water draining issues once every couple of years due the sheer amount of direct rain during a really bad storm with no roof protection.

Vanguards, Verde, and Restorations are widely considered some of the better vinyl offerings out there as long as the dealer checks out with quality installs and reputation.
Thanks Delaware Mike. The installer is the only Sunrise authorized dealer for Louisville area and so far has B+ rating in BBB (started business in 2018 per BBB) and 4.9 out of handful google reviews (28). But I was directed to them by Sunrise themselves when I asked them about their products.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+3

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with the others, a sloped sill with no weep holes is good practice on double hung. Its pretty much unavoidable on sliders, but that's also on reason why most pros prefer double hung and casements over sliders.

novicehomeowner22

#10 Post by novicehomeowner22 »

HomeSealed wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:48 pm I agree with the others, a sloped sill with no weep holes is good practice on double hung. Its pretty much unavoidable on sliders, but that's also on reason why most pros prefer double hung and casements over sliders.
Thanks HomeSealed.