Jamb Depth Question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Guster2409

Jamb Depth Question

#1 Post by Guster2409 »

I am replacing the original windows in my early 70s home (Dallas area). I've waded through the quotes and am comfortable with one maker, but it is different in one way from all of the others:. Its jamb depth is 2-7/8", instead of 3-1/4". Does anyone know if this a good thing, a bad thing, or not something to worry about either way?

Thanks so much for the guidance this board provides!

HomeSealed

Re: Jamb Depth Question

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Generally speaking that is a bad thing when it comes to vinyl windows. Sign of a lower end, builder focused window made for high volume and low cost.

OTOH if this is an aluminum window that you are considering (viable option in TX), I'd defer to Randy as the resident Texas expert.

Guster2409

#3 Post by Guster2409 »

Thank you, it is a vinyl. Bummer...back to the drawing board!

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

I’d run it by Randy first. The narrower jamb depth usually means it’s single hung vs double hung.

Guster2409

#5 Post by Guster2409 »

Maybe I should have added some more information for context. They are in fact single hungs. I've gotten 5 quotes and (hopefully) narrowed it down to three.

1. Buris tectview ac - mediocre reviews here, but they have been around for a long time and the installer has a long history of good work in the area. Burris seems to be used more frequently than the other two, if review quantities are an indicator. This has the 2 7/8" depth. I noticed the Don Young single hung vinyls are the same depth, which made me wonder if that wasn't super uncommon.

2. Vistamark endura - its draw appears to be that they've only been around for 8-10 years. Installer also has a great track record. Priced around 20% higher than the other two.

3. American Window Systems Slim V25 - they've been around for 20 years, but reviews are extremely limited. Installer sounds impressive but hasn't been around my area quite as long. Window is the only one without a transferable warranty.

Spec wise, these appear pretty comparable to my untrained eyes. I'll probably only be in the house for 5-7 years, but I also don't want to saddle the next person with a headache if either of these are problematic.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

I agree with HomeSealed; generally speaking, a narrower vinyl profile is not preferred. That is true in almost all parts of the country, and it’s particularly true in areas with extreme weather (hot or cold). It allows the manufacturer to use less material and increase profits margins, but it often leaves homeowners with a flimsy, poorer performing window in the long term.

The larger the window and the more sun exposure it receives, the more likely you are to have issues. I don’t recommend Don Young’s 5200 series vinyl window either, by the way. There are better options for around the same price point.

Texas is a tough market for vinyl windows. The only three premium grade vinyl windows available here are Soft-lite (statewide), Kensington (limited areas) and Okna (Houston only). Sunrise was available, but they pulled out of the Texas market last year.

If you can get a premium vinyl window for a price you can afford, that’s your best option. Texas summers are hard on vinyl windows, so go with the best you can get and you’ll be happier down the road.

If premium vinyl windows aren’t available or affordable, NT’s Presidential, Energy Master or Traditions lines would be the next best option. They do have thick frames, which reduces the amount of glass space, but they will resist bowing, sagging and twisting in the heat longer than the thinner frames vinyl windows that are being sold in Texas.

Guster2409

#7 Post by Guster2409 »

Excellent - I will price out an NT window as well. Thanks so much, all