Recommendations on eyebrow layout

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jesoonster

Recommendations on eyebrow layout

#1 Post by jesoonster »

Hi everyone! I appreciate all advice from the experts here - I selected soft-lite imperial elite in Austin and to the best of my knowledge that's the only top window brand available here from the trio that everyone recommends (okna, sunrise, soft-lite). I understand I sacrifice a little on the vinyl thickness but I decided I can stomach that given the super ratings on this window. I want to thank Randy and everyone here for the invaluable advice that allowed me to select the best window. As a non-professional, it was a lot of work to understand the stats, but it was all worth it.

I now face a problem with the design of the eyebrow window. I have two - 1st one is above my main door, and the 2nd one is to the right side facing front of the home (same side as the main door).

These are my challenges:

1. 1st eyebrow above the main window is too large to have as a single picture window. Since it must be split, I have to decide whether it will be a vertical or horizontal split and then decide at what height that split should occur.

2. 2nd eyebrow (office) - I need to be able to open the window to exchange air from time to time. The recommendation was to have a horizontal slider that is about 12"-16" inches high below a picture window. This would minimize obstruction of the view.

SO my questions are....

1. How would you design the windows? I'm looking at modern style so I don't want any grids. I want an unobstructed view as much as possible so I'm thinking horizontal divisions of the eyebrow windows are the way to go.

2. If I get a horizontal division using the horizontal slider in the office (see picture), does it make sense to try to get a horizontal division on the eyebrow above the main door as well? I think mixing and matching vertical/horizontal divisions would look odd.

3. Where do you think the divisions should be? I proposed a few on the pics with colored outlines.

Thank you!
Option #2 for above the door eyebrow
Option #2 for above the door eyebrow
Option #1 for above the door eyebrow
Option #1 for above the door eyebrow
Office eyebrow with horizontal slider window on bottom
Office eyebrow with horizontal slider window on bottom

jesoonster

Re: Recommendations on eyebrow layout

#2 Post by jesoonster »

OH forgot one thing. The last picture that shows "slider" are the office windows. Since imperial elites are double hung, I cannot replicate the existing window layout b/c my current windows are single hung.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

Glad to hear you’ve located a window and contractor that you feel good about.

My choice would be a large picture window with an eyebrow stacked on top - for the window over the door. I’ve attached a photo of job we did recently (aluminum).

As to the window in the office, I’d do something similar; either a twin set of double hungs with an eyebrow stacked on top, or a slider with an eyebrow stacked on top. I’d put the mull between the upper and lower windows as high as possible, which it typically around 4” down from the legs.
Attachments
tempImageekwvJq.gif

jesoonster

#4 Post by jesoonster »

Ty so much Randy!

After seeing your pic I'm more inclined to drop the divider on the top window a little (like yours and see below). Does this look better to you?

Also, when you were referencing the mull between the upper and lower windows as high as possible do you mean something like the below new office pic I attached?
office eyebrow-2.jpg
Above-door-3.jpg

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Nice looking job Randy!

I'd agree with his recommendations as well, that would give you the most conventional appearance given the circumstances.

Personally I'd opt for the twin DH over the SL. You lose a little glass and it costs more, but its a superior window (more airtight) and nicer look which is important in this location on the front of the home. I'd be less opposed to sliders on the sides and rear of the home if they make sense there.

jesoonster

#6 Post by jesoonster »

Randy/Homesealed-thank you for your input.

JUST so that I am getting this correctly. Is this the view that you recommend? creating twin DH while minimizing the top "eyebrow" sized window?

Anyone else have an opinion on what they like/don't
office-eyebrow-3.jpg
? :)

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I can't speak for Randy, but yes, that's the most conventional arrangement IMO.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Who told you the foyer window is to large to do as a single?

Why not do the study/office with a twin arch top single hung?

jesoonster

#9 Post by jesoonster »

The foyer picture window max is 96 inches, but can only be a combined 144 in (W+H). This is for softlite. The foyer window is too big for that and that's the reason is what I was told.

As for my office window, single hung options are not available for imperial elite softlite. Only double hung available.

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

Thanks Brandon.

Most companies that I deal with require that the leg height on the sides of eyebrows be a minimum of 4” and that’s what I would do. This would maximize the size of the lower unit. I tried to find a photo to demonstrate, but couldn’t locate one.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

Let height would be the issue with the to not be named (Ventana) shape window.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Eric,
Have you been on a tour of the no name shape company?

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

No. Not at the top of my list.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If I remember correctly, the vinyl shapes company that we are stuck with has an 8" minimum shoulder height.