Spacers in Simonton windows?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
cara

Spacers in Simonton windows?

#1 Post by cara »

Our potential window contractor has been great about answering questions but I'm having to ASK a lot of questions and am trying to make a smart buying decision. I want decent windows for my old house, for a good price. He's recommending Simonton 5050's. I asked what the spacer is, in those, and he says "aluminum, intercept."

Are they, in fact, aluminum spacers? Because, from what I read, that's not a good idea...

Also - how important in a house where we're replacing 30 year old single pane wood windows (HORRIBLE windows!) is it to have the extrusion (I have no idea what that means, but saw it in a brochure) of the vinyl windows be foam-filled? These windows are NOT foam filled - will I regret that?

Thanks

HomeSealed

Re: Spacers in Simonton windows?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Based on what you've said so far, odds are that you will regret going with this installer. Standard Intercept is tin plated and is not a great option given how widely used stainless and composite(non-metallic) spacers are these days. Either one of those would be much better. As far as foam fill, it depends. Some manufacturers do a nice job where the U value is reduced by a point or two, while others shove a couple poorly fitted pieces of foam into the frame which accomplishes nothing but fooling consumers into thinking that it benefits them.

It doesn't sound like your potential contractor is particularly knowledgeable, nor is he offering a great product. That is an "entry level" product from a manufacturer that isn't as highly regarded as they once were.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

The 5050 is rarely used except in production builders and house flippers.

There are so many better products out there that will vastly outperform that product.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with all the above.
Find a better window or you will regret it.
theWindowNerd