Double hung sizing and position on eyebrow. Dilemma and questions..

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jesoonster

Double hung sizing and position on eyebrow. Dilemma and questions..

#1 Post by jesoonster »

Hello folks. Per recommendation of experts, I was advised to use double hungs on the front side of my house (eyebrow window).

I'm trying to balance the thickness of my frame (2" for softlite and 0.5 inch for mullion that connects the windows).

Based on this info, I taped up my exterior eyebrow to match this requirement (and with legs of 8 inches) to see what it would look like. The areas where two windows are adjacent to each other are 4.5 inches (2" for each frame and 0.5 inch for the mullion).

As you can see in the pics, they look funny. The top part of the DH window is short, and the bottom is long. It looks like in order to create the right ratio for the DH, I need to move the divider between the eyebrow and the top part of the DH window up (perhaps 2 -4 inches) or to the maximum possible.

What are your thoughts on this design? Does it look funny? The other option for me to create a slider below and have a single eyebrow piece on top of it (which no one here recommended). Maybe the pictures I have in this post may change your thoughts? Thank you for your advice.
20220402_143753.jpg
20220402_143801.jpg

TheWindowNerd

Re: Double hung sizing and position on eyebrow. Dilemma and questions..

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would say you are way off on your mock up.
I have a frame piece for a direct white vinyl direct glazed picture window here in my office. It is 2 7/8" from edge of glass to edge of frame. That frame goes at the top of your arch topped picture window.
The glass to glass space between the DH and PW is going to be closer to 6", same for the DH to DH mullion.
The center meeting rail( CMR) will be less than 2".
Why isnt your contractor laying this out for you?
My suggestion is still to look for a twin arch top single hung.

jesoonster

#3 Post by jesoonster »

Wow 6"? So since I estimated at 4.5" then I'm off by 1.5". That is thick. It looks like I have to shorten the legs and push the picture frame as high as possible to create as much space for the DH. At that kind of thickness I may have to compromise on the size of the DH.

Single hung isn't really an option for soft-lite elite b/c they only have double hungs. Only way I can get around this is to step down to say a Barrington that offers single hungs.

As for the contractor, I'm ready to engage him again but really needed 3rd party opinion here....

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

The simplest answer is to make that transom leg as short as the manufacturer can (I think that was mentioned in your other thread?) ... Then the dh beneath will be size to whatever the remaining height is. The sashes will default to a 50/50 split eliminating the "weird" look. The meeting rail will simply sit lower than it currently does. Also, while the glass to glass measurement between transom and top of dh may be a little light in your mockup, the meeting rail will be much thinner at around 2" or so.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Just had a thought about design for you.
What if you put a single arch top picture window mulled directly to a two section slider. It will eliminate one frame.

jesoonster

#6 Post by jesoonster »

Thank you Homesealed. It took a LONG time for me to figure that out but that seems to be the only viable option if I go with double hung.

Homesealed- that is a GREAT suggestion that is my ONLY other viable option. That was my 1st choice but everyone on this forum recommended against going that route b/c a slider below a single picture frame is not recommended for the front side of my house (and the air leakage on sliders are higher). What are your thoughts on this?

There are some advantages to the slider:

1) I don't really open my office eyebrow windows often
2) the slider will be covered by my bush when it grow back
3) when the bush grows back and covers the slider, it will create a visual "trick" making it seem like it's a single large picture window (but will have ability to slide and open the window on the bottom slider)

What do you think the height should be of the slider? I heard recs from 16 inches - 20 inches. Seems like 16" is a bit small considering the thickness of the vinyl frame....

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would make it the same height as if a DH.

jesoonster

#8 Post by jesoonster »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:27 am Just had a thought about design for you.
What if you put a single arch top picture window mulled directly to a two section slider. It will eliminate one frame.
Hello WindowNerd and everyone!

Call me crazy but I'm still sitting on the ropes. To maximize glass, functionality, and looks, I'm looking at picture window on top of an awning window. I'm thinking of having the awning at least 25" in height. This would remove a divider that would be on a slider. This means I have 2 divisions of the frame, the picture window and the awning window beneath. Would you have any objections to doing this???? I'm trying to avoid DH as much as possible b/c there is too much thick frame that would compromise the looks - especially when this window is facing the front of my home. I'm also leaning against the slider b/c I heard chatter that a heavy picture window on top of the slider is more likely to compromise a thinner slider underneath. Would appreciate if you can share your thoughts and dispel any myths I'm hearing. Once again thank you!

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Do you mean a single arch top picture window mulled to the top of a twin awning window?
That is doable as is a arch top picture window over a 2 section slider with support mull.
Depending on mfg limits and sight lines I would make the awning window 30" tall.

jesoonster

#10 Post by jesoonster »

Yes. It a single arched picture window on top of a single (or if not possible, a twin) awning window :)

30 inches? Great. I'll try taping the window outside to see how it looks. Thank you!