Is exterior trim required on Okna replacement windows?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ascolling

Is exterior trim required on Okna replacement windows?

#1 Post by ascolling »

We are getting ready to order all new replacement windows for our home and have decided on Okna Eco-Pro 600 (double hung). Now I’m questioning how the windows will look on the exterior due to the depth of the frame. Our current windows are the original low-grade vinyl windows installed by the builder in 2002. They are pretty much flush with the J-channel. The Okna windows on the other hand, look like they might protrude out about 3 inches. Our shutters butt right up against the J channel so there is no room to add exterior trim on the sides. Has anyone installed Okna windows without wrapping with exterior trim? Does it look ok with the window protruding out? I'm feeling nervous about it and want peace of mind about the final appearance before I pull the trigger and order them. I want it to work because I love the quality of the windows.

Attached is a pic of current window and shutters. (Shutters obviously also being replaced) If anyone has exterior pics of their Okna windows I would love to see them. Would greatly appreciate any and all input!
Attachments
Colling house4.jpg
Colling house4.jpg (22.13 KiB) Viewed 4416 times

Ricknez

Re: Is exterior trim required on Okna replacement windows?

#2 Post by Ricknez »

The Okna window will NOT protrude 3 inches, you are incorrect. The jamb depth is 3 1/4” the same as every other window. Your exterior is very common and there is absolutely no issue with Okna’s exterior. With a replacement, you keep the existing J channel.
The Okna has a decorative bevel which also allows water to drain downward opposed to your current windows that are just squared off.

ascolling

#3 Post by ascolling »

@Ricknez Thank you for clarifying that for me!! I guess I was looking at the frame incorrectly and the only exterior photos I could find online were trimmed out windows. Thanks so much for the response and easing my mind.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

ascolling, the finished appearance here will depend entirely on how they do the installation.

As Rickenz mentioned, the frame depth of your new window is the same as the vast majority of others (most likely same as all others that you've considered). Your original window could have a more shallow depth that would mean the window will extend in or out farther than original. The superior way is to push it in. As he explained though, no way would it be 3", it's more likely to be an inch or less, give or take. If the original was a customary 3 1/4" jamb depth and not a super cheap builder window that is less, then it will be the same.

Back to the installation, how are they sizing the window? Same as original? Downsized to slide into the jamb return? With nail fin or without?

We are happy to offer insight and advice, but only your contractor can answer your question at the end of the day because there are a few different ways to install a window in your situation.

ascolling

#5 Post by ascolling »

HomeSealed, our original windows seem to be pretty cheap builder grade, probably below average. I'm not sure how the installer is sizing the window. He probably told me but I don't remember. I do know he said the J channel doesn't get removed. He also said the window from the inside would extend further into the house about 1/2".

I think I was totally misunderstanding the window frame depth and how it fits in the opening and starting overthinking and panicking a bit. I will double check with the company that will do the install to confirm these questions you brought up but I feel pretty confident they will look totally fine.

Thanks very much for your response!

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Your installer is installing a downsized replacement window and not a flanged new construction window of the same size as your existing window. Hopefully this doesn't effect any blind brackets.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

ascolling wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:29 pm HomeSealed, our original windows seem to be pretty cheap builder grade, probably below average. I'm not sure how the installer is sizing the window. He probably told me but I don't remember. I do know he said the J channel doesn't get removed. He also said the window from the inside would extend further into the house about 1/2".

I think I was totally misunderstanding the window frame depth and how it fits in the opening and starting overthinking and panicking a bit. I will double check with the company that will do the install to confirm these questions you brought up but I feel pretty confident they will look totally fine.

Thanks very much for your response!
Makes sense, and means that the exterior project is likely not an issue. As DM mentioned, the blind brackets would be one of the few things to check into.

ascolling

#8 Post by ascolling »

Homesealed and Delaware Mike, thanks for alerting me to the potential blind bracket issue. I'll check on that. Appreciate all your comments!