Don Young aluminum windows and IECC requirements

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jesoonster

Don Young aluminum windows and IECC requirements

#1 Post by jesoonster »

Hi everyone!

I once considered Don Young aluminum windows per many on this forum. Ultimately, I went with Soft-lite b/c I thought it was a more viable option for me in Austin.

Looking back, I missed something really important that could have caused me trouble. IECC code requirements state that the minimum fenestration U-factor requirements are under <0.4. All DY alum windows (minus picture / special glass) will not meet this requirement. If I were to have requested a permit from Austin / TX, I would have certainly been rejected. Even if I somehow slipped by, my HOA may have raised hell with me in the future. Looking back, I'm glad I avoided DY alum windows b/c I don't want to be non-compliant with any national code. I'm no expert and perhaps there is nothing to worry about as meeting this requirement may be an overkill, but my recent experiences on adding an "unnecessary" GFCI breaker to my main panel for installing my EV charger taught me a lesson to never go against codes and laws b/c you can get royally F'd if things go wrong (though electrician said it is absolutely useless to do this, my insurance company said that if something goes wrong during a fire in my garage, they can use this as grounds for denial of claims - and that is a big unknown given unexpected battery related fires in EVs).

Maybe there aren't such severe repercussions when it comes to windows. I don't know b/c I'm a novice, but I would like to know what you guys are thinking when it comes to installing alum windows that don't meet this code.

Thanks in advance.

Randy

Re: Don Young aluminum windows and IECC requirements

#2 Post by Randy »

Well, since you asked......

There are multiple issues to consider with regard to replacement windows and codes. Tempered glass in areas where required and egress rules are most similar to your analogy regarding electrical, as they are clearly safety issues. They should be taken seriously.

U-Value is more akin to low-flow toilets and shower heads, incandescent light bulbs, particulate filter requirements on diesel engines and other such governmental requirements that obviously have other motivations.

Homeowners should be free to make an informed decision that is best for their particular situation, taking into account price, efficiency, security, aesthetics, durability, longevity and any other matter than may impact their long-term satisfaction with their new windows.

jesoonster

#3 Post by jesoonster »

Thank you Randy. I figured that was probably the case that this is a frivolous govt requirement and your analogy is sound. Considering the hellish encounters my neighbors have had with my HOA, I certainly want to be careful (and ultimately, I understand this is a case by case situation for most b/c most people won't have HOA scrutiny like me).

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

Yes, some HOA’s can be difficult to deal with.

Soft-lite makes a great product that will serve you well. Glad to hear you found the right window for your project. Best wishes with everything!