Swimming with replacement window bids

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Mrsmamahamm

Swimming with replacement window bids

#1 Post by Mrsmamahamm »

I have been in the process of obtaining bids and doing research on vinyl replacement windows for our 1962 house. Most of the windows are the original single pane with storms. I have gotten 8 bids. These bids are for 17 windows (16 double hung, 1 slider) plus a patio slider door with screen. The bids include argon gas and low-E, colonial contoured grids on the street-facing windows (8 of the 17). Pocket installation, all white, no unique sizes or other upgrades. We are in Kansas City, Missouri and plan to be in this home forever unless something unexpected happens.

All companies I got bids from are highly rated on Google reviews (4.5 stars or higher out of at least 75 reviews) except Window Universe- I can't find much info about them, which makes me leary. Every company offers some variation of a labor warranty (some 10 years, some 20, some lifetime), and each company varies slightly on whether or not fixing minor wood rot is included or extra if they come across any. Most wrap the exterior trim in aluminum.

Window World 4000 series: $13,107 (I've learned enough to know WW isn't worth it)
Alside Mezzo: $13,445 (fixing any wood rot if found would cost extra)
Zen Nirvana (Soft-Lite Classic Plus): $16,405 (fixing any wood rot if found would cost extra)
Soft-Lite Classic: $19,886
Provia Endure: $20,325 (this includes fixing any wood rot if found)
Joyce Trinity: $15,780 (this company uses fiberglass insulation instead of spray foam. Installation includes addressing wood rot if found).
Window Universe Berkshire Elite: $14,811 (I'm a little leary of this Window Universe company as I can't find many reviews)
Target 4000 Series: $14,781 (includes replacing any wood rot, and they will reinstall all cellular shades for us at no extra charge)

Our church used the company selling the Target 4000 series in 2020 and was extremely satisfied with their product and service. That's been my favorite sales rep to work with (low pressure, knowledgeable, willing to answer my millions of detailed questions), and I like the extra mile they seem to go for great customer service. However, the Target manufacturer has very little info available in terms of reviews.

These bids are all a lot higher than I expected, but I guess that's 2022. I haven't yet tried negotiating but plan to once we select what we want. $15,000 is probably the absolute max we will spend but would prefer to be closer to the $13,000 mark. Some considerations I need advice on:
- Overall feedback on the bids and which windows to consider or not consider
- Is a pocket sill vs. sloped sill vs. combination sill a make or break it?
- Is spray foam vs. fiberglass insulation install a make or break it?
- Do we go with a more expensive bid and do less windows, or go with a less expensive bid and do all at once?
- Do we do windows from one company and the door from another, or keep it all together?
- Should we even entertain the idea of replacing storm windows (roughly $5500 bid, installed) instead of doing vinyl window replacement?

HomeSealed

Re: Swimming with replacement window bids

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Mrsmamahamm wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:17 pm These bids are all a lot higher than I expected, but I guess that's 2022. I haven't yet tried negotiating but plan to once we select what we want. $15,000 is probably the absolute max we will spend but would prefer to be closer to the $13,000 mark.
You will want to do this in phases if that is the case. I'd use $20k as a more realistic bar, and you'll find some much higher than that .
Mrsmamahamm wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:17 pm Some considerations I need advice on:
- Overall feedback on the bids and which windows to consider or not consider
While I'd almost never recommend getting as many bids as you have, I don't see any there that stand out as appealing. Look for dealers carrying the better Softlite models (Elements, LS, Elite), Sunrise Restorations, Okna (if in your area).
Mrsmamahamm wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:17 pm - Is a pocket sill vs. sloped sill vs. combination sill a make or break it?
On a double hung, yes. Sloped only.
Mrsmamahamm wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:17 pm - Is spray foam vs. fiberglass insulation install a make or break it?
These days, yes. IMO we are past the point where it was acceptable for "old timers" who were set in their ways to use fg. Nobody does anymore. Any company worth their salt will demand that their installers use foam.
Mrsmamahamm wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:17 pm - Do we go with a more expensive bid and do less windows, or go with a less expensive bid and do all at once?
Yes... OR, consider financing. This is more relevant than ever as price are rapidly increasing, so waiting for phase two next year may cost more than the financing does.
Mrsmamahamm wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:17 pm - Do we do windows from one company and the door from another, or keep it all together?
I'd recommend one company, especially being a patio slider. That type of unit goes hand in hand with the windows.
Mrsmamahamm wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:17 pm - Should we even entertain the idea of replacing storm windows (roughly $5500 bid, installed) instead of doing vinyl window replacement?
No. Not based on the description and age of your home. If this was a turn of the century home with some historical significance, old growth wood sashes, etc, then this option would have merit, but not for 60's home unless there is something special about it...

You are drowning more than swimming at this point, I'd shed all of this ballast and try to find a dealer with one of the better products above.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

HomeSealed nailed it on every point. Kansas City surely has some dealers for the better lines mentioned.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Brandon shared good advice for your project.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Great post by HomeSealed and he really broke out the points in order for an organized follow.

Generally speaking, I would say the recommendation of the Church would have been a good start, but if this is the window in question, I am much less of a fan now.

Target: https://www.targetwindowsanddoors.com/w ... 0CHART.pdf

Pocket sill is a non-starter for me and the bulky interior is an unnecessary trade off to an outdated design.