One type of window - sizing not avail in soflite

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jesoonster

One type of window - sizing not avail in soflite

#1 Post by jesoonster »

20220425_192653.jpg
Hi everyone. I continue to be thankful for the responses of all experts.

I am still having issues with my softlite order (imperial elite windows for entire home in Austin)

Now my issues are with my ~80 inch long by 12 inch wide windows adjacent to my front door.

Apparently softlite cannot make this size in any vinyl line and my next available option is a brand called "window mart"...

These windows will be picture windows so I guess air leaks won't be an issue. What would you guys do in this situation? Seems like these are my options:

1. Go with "window mart" for my ~80 in X 12 inch wide windows (really don't want to)
2. Add in sidelite (which brand would I go with? Softlite sells them but are they just rebadged thermatru? should I go with provia? What are good brands/options????) windows of washington had a few posts but it seemed his mind changed over the years on whether provia is a stellar door or not....

Optional: change the front door if adding sidelite is an option. If so what brand and line should I go with? Softlite sells doors, are they good? What are some great brand and functional modern looking doors that are cream of the crop and would be up there with my softlite imperial elite windows? Do I have to worry about leakage and all like windows? I want quality components to minimize leaks over the years....just like good windows.
Attachments
sidelite.JPG
sidelite.JPG (14.9 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
Last edited by jesoonster on Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: One type of window - sizing not avail in soflite

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is the door being replaced? Is that area under a degree of cover?

Did you ask your vendor about a sash pack in this case vs. a full frame unit? Or perhaps an IGU.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

1) Why did they say that they can't make it? It can't be that the height is too tall, maybe the width is too narrow?

2) The ideal solution here in any case (despite also being the most expensive) is to replace the entire door unit and including 2 new sidelites. Provia and Homeguard are my top two entry doors, although only the former is likely available in your area. If you see anything less than flattering about Provia its typically about their windows as opposed to their entry doors. Thermatru isn't the worst but can be hit or miss in my experience... Randy may be able to chime in with any other good entry door lines available down in TX.

jesoonster

#4 Post by jesoonster »

OH gosh. First time learning about sash packs and IGUs. I'll ask if they are options. Thank you WoW.

Homesealed-

1. I was told the width was too narrow (12")
2. I'm leaning towards the new door and sidelites (I'm not going 1/2 way on this) and I planned to replace the door in the future anyway.

My concern with #2 is I know NOTHING about doors and the worst situation is for me to buy stellar windows only to have bought poor quality door that negates all the benefits of the windows I bought lol. My dealer has provia doors so I'll explore that option.

Randy- if you know better options for doors in texas I'd very much appreciate :)

jesoonster

#5 Post by jesoonster »

Which provia door lines would you recommend? I see 4. Embarq, signet, legacy, and heritage.

The heritage has modern looking doors which I like...but seems to have the worst U factor. I don't want to get in a situation where I'm ordering a substandard line from a good brand.

Are there performance factors that I need to be aware of that make one line superior to the other? (eg.., like softlite barrington vs. imperial elite)

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

The Embark is their highest line, I don't see it sold that often. There are some neat design features but ultimately I don't see a ton of benefit over the Signet. The Signet was the flagship fiberglass door for many years and is an excellent door. The only downside is that some of the parts for this line have substantial delays these days. The Heritage and Legacy are fine and make for nice, cost saving options for side and rear doors.

Provia is not immune to some of the issues experienced across this industry and others with staffing, material shortages, etc. so incidences of QC issues have been higher, but its still one of the better doors on the market. I don't know if you'll find a single honest professional that would say that its not.

jesoonster

#7 Post by jesoonster »

Wonderful advice. thank you. I'll explore the signet line.

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

NT’s Slimline would be a good choice for those. Since they are picture windows, the AL rating will be under .02 across the board generally. Don Young would also make them in their vinyl lines.

jesoonster

#9 Post by jesoonster »

Thank you Randy!

Looks like NT is not an option b/c I have to order the whole home and note one offs. Thank goodness DY is available.

My 3 choices for my Long PICTURE window next to the sides of my main door are:

window mart 7200
Northeast bldg products crusader
Don Young 6810 vinyl picture window

May I please get your advice on what to go with? Thank you!

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would suggest an Marvin Elevate direct glazed picture window, has to be tempered glass.