Okna vs Soft Lite in DC

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rrm1213

Okna vs Soft Lite in DC

#1 Post by rrm1213 »

First time caller long time listener. Thank you for creating a great forum to help educate people like me.

I live in DC and am looking to replace 17 double hungs and 1 (small) semi circle picture window. Currently, I have 40 year old wood windows with storms. Also interested in additional sound reduction for a handful of the windows, so want to use laminated or differential glass for those. Quotes:

Zen Windows:
$16k Soft Lite Pro
$18.5k Imperial Elite
$500/window laminated glass (flat fee for all windows)

Okna Installer:
$17k Okna 800
$300-$500/window laminated glass (more for the larger windows)

I also have a Vytex Fortis quote coming, which I expect to come in a bit under the others - but it’s taken the installer several days to get it to me which has turned me off to them. I’m not exceptionally budget conscious so saving a couple thousand won’t move the needle for me. Just want the job done right.

Based purely on product, strongly inclined towards the Okna 800. He was referred to me by Okna (I filled out their online request form). However, his company has limited amount of online reviews (mostly good, a couple bad). Zen windows has all 5 star reviews. For both quotes, it was the company owner who came and did my quote (both fairly small companies).

I asked the Okna installation company owner and he explained he has been in business for 40 years, operates on referral, has no advertising budget, and does not attempt to push people towards online reviews. Clearly the other installer more tightly manages their online presence.

Appreciate advice on the quotes, whether my concern with the Okna installer is reasonable, and how effective my sound reduction strategy might be.

Randy

Re: Okna vs Soft Lite in DC

#2 Post by Randy »

Having been here a while, one of the regulars who has been of the most assistance to you and countless other homeowners is Windows on Washington. I can’t imagine not getting them out to look at your project, since they carry some of the best vinyl windows in the market and their installation system is superior to most competitors.

rrm1213

#3 Post by rrm1213 »

They would have been my first choice. I’ve reached out to WoW a couple of times over the past year, but they do not serve DC - only MD and VA.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would rate the 800dx as the best choice, Vytex HP Potomac would be my next choice.
When I read your description it sounded like you were dealing with me. Small long time craftsman, not a buisness guy.
If the reviews were workmanship related and resolved I would still consider them in the lead.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Feel free to ring me directly this AM.

Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Okna 800 is the easy winner.

More importantly, reach out to Eric @ WoW and see if they may be able to help. I'm sure that you've read enough to know how highly regarded his group is.