Window replacement in MN

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MLazusky83

Window replacement in MN

#1 Post by MLazusky83 »

We have been getting estimates to replace 7 fairly large sliders and 1 sliding patio door. Just looking for opinions on what is the best option. These estimates are for full replacement. Currently have siding butt up to windows and door, so there would be a cut back and 2" brick mould added

Company 1: Great Plains window and door-Anderson 100 series $17,425

Company 2: Sandstrom Windows- Hayfield 201 $16,250

Company 3: Sunrise Remodelers- Sunrise Standard with Ultra U plus glass $15,350

Company 4: Modeen window and door- Sunrise Standard with Omega 12 glass $16,325

Of the 4 companies, Modeen is the only one who uses there own installers. Everyone else uses subs.

I've contacted Okna, but unfortunately they say there are no distributors in the state. Also, I remember reading in an older post that the Omega 12 is better suited for warmer climates, so I'm assumimg the ultra u plus would be a better option for me?

Thank you

Windows on Washington

Re: Window replacement in MN

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Leaning towards #3 and #4. The Sub vs. Employee is a non-issue in my book. Take a look at their work and go from there.

MLazusky83

#3 Post by MLazusky83 »

Thank you sir!

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with WoW, especially on the installer part. Good installers are good installers, and bad are bad. A company with an excellent reputation likely has excellent installers, the way that Uncle Sam gets his cut is pretty irrelevant.

Does one of those Sunrise dealers have access to the Restorations or Vanguard? It would also be advisable to consider triple pane in your neck of the woods.

MLazusky83

#5 Post by MLazusky83 »

Hi HomeSealed,
Thanks for the reply. Neither of these installers carry Vanguard or Restorations. I did have a company that my mother in law works for come out and quoted me $24,831 for the Solace, which is basically the Restorations, just under a different name. Thats a little out of our budget right now.
The only other dealer I have found who carries Vangaurd has some pretty terrible reviews on Google, Angi, etc..

Is the Vanguard and Restorations light years better than the standard Sunrise? I just want to make sure that we are making a good investment.

I asked company #3 about upgrading to the AR90 triple pane and added a small casement window above our sink in the kitchen and total cost is $16,875. From all the quotes, I feel this seems pretty resonable. They did ask if I wanted to upgrade to the tilt in option, which would make it so the exterior could be cleaned from inside. Would this be a good option? Does the window lose any performance from this?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

MLazusky83 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:34 pm Hi HomeSealed,
Thanks for the reply. Neither of these installers carry Vanguard or Restorations. I did have a company that my mother in law works for come out and quoted me $24,831 for the Solace, which is basically the Restorations, just under a different name. Thats a little out of our budget right now.
The only other dealer I have found who carries Vangaurd has some pretty terrible reviews on Google, Angi, etc..

Is the Vanguard and Restorations light years better than the standard Sunrise? I just want to make sure that we are making a good investment.

I asked company #3 about upgrading to the AR90 triple pane and added a small casement window above our sink in the kitchen and total cost is $16,875. From all the quotes, I feel this seems pretty resonable. They did ask if I wanted to upgrade to the tilt in option, which would make it so the exterior could be cleaned from inside. Would this be a good option? Does the window lose any performance from this?
I would not say that the difference is light years, no. As far as tilt in sliders, they are a great concept but over the years I've found an excessive number of service issues with them so I try to avoid them. Unless they are huge windows, lifting the sashes out of a standard slider isn't much more work... and even if they are large, tilting in oversized panels isn't for a job for grandma either.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1. Concept wise, on the tilt in slider,...great idea. Actual usefulness and long term durability...lacking.