Vinyl recommendations

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
madaxeman77

Vinyl recommendations

#1 Post by madaxeman77 »

Hi. I am replacing 17 double hung original 1964 windows. So far I've gotten a couple estimates
Alside Ultramaxx $13k
Midway Hawthorne $15k
Marvin Fiberglass $20k
KHPP Ascent @15k

Any opinions or others I should look at? Would like to stay in the 15k range. The Ultramaxx and Ascent have a pocket sill where the Hawthorne has a slope sill which I do like better. Any help appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl recommendations

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Definitely not a fan of a pocket sill double hung where a sloped sill option exists either.

Are there any other vinyl options in your area? What climate area?

madaxeman77

#3 Post by madaxeman77 »

Chicagoland. There’s plenty of places to get estimates but everybody tells you the one they sell is the best.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Have you run up a bit North of you to check out HomeSealed? I think he dabbles in Chicago and he's the only guy that I would use up in those parts.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Agreed, if Brandon and his team at HomeSealed will help you that would be a huge win for ya.

Please note that fiberglass is not comparable to vinyl, the product is very different and the price point way different too.

madaxeman77

#6 Post by madaxeman77 »

John at HomeSealed is getting me an estimate on Okna’s. Thanks guys.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Okna and HomeSealed will be a wonderful project.

theWindowNerd.com

axb

#8 Post by axb »

Hi folks:

Thanks for your time in advance. Looking for your opinion on the following from Lowes. What I liked about them was no pressure sales tactics.

a. United Distinct 4800 Series-apparently has
b. Lowes Brand-ReliaBilt 3900 Series
c. Pella 250.

Looking to replace 13 windows.

Replacement Window shopping is by far the worst experience to go thru as most can attest. Can't figure out why they cannot make it easy on themselves and us customers! What's is the history of such horrible sales tactics and don't see them elsewhere? Agree car buying has gotten so much better with on-line!

thanks again

axb

#9 Post by axb »

I would like to add I live in the Boston area

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Boston is a plenty large enough market to have the regularly recommended brands. I'd look for Soft-Lite, Okna, Sunrise.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1

uncle eddie

#12 Post by uncle eddie »

axb wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:27 am Hi folks:

Thanks for your time in advance. Looking for your opinion on the following from Lowes. What I liked about them was no pressure sales tactics.

a. United Distinct 4800 Series-apparently has
b. Lowes Brand-ReliaBilt 3900 Series
c. Pella 250.

Looking to replace 13 windows.

Replacement Window shopping is by far the worst experience to go thru as most can attest. Can't figure out why they cannot make it easy on themselves and us customers! What's is the history of such horrible sales tactics and don't see them elsewhere? Agree car buying has gotten so much better with on-line!

thanks again
You answered your own question. Window companies have to go to extraordinary lengths to educate people about why their window is legitimately 2 x's more expensive than another option, AND a better value at that. You might say that consumers are smart and can educate themselves - which should be true- yet here you are asking about 3 bad window choices from a bad choice for installation.

axb

#13 Post by axb »

thanks all.

any recommendation on window companies in the Boston area. Did not have a good experience with window nations!

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Look for a Okna or Vytex dealer.

lexn

#15 Post by lexn »

Hoping I can resurrect this thread. I'm looking for similar info but have also managed some of my own research.

[Should I avoid mentioning names of vendors that aren't members of the site? That seems to be the general practice here, but I don't see an actual rule.]

I filled out the OKNA web form for contacting a dealer, specifically mentioning that I'm shopping in Medford MA. Got a call back from a big regional contractor who flies all the red flags on Annoying Marketing Tricks, but they say "OKNA makes windows for us". They won't give any real info without coming to the house, currently debating whether to let them just so I'll have a quote.

Google also turned up a small contractor with a good reputation who mentions OKNA on their web site. They're based about 50 miles away on the other side of the metro area, so it makes sense that they have a separate distribution area. I'm wondering if that means they're restricted in talking to me... seems unlikely to be enforceable, but in any case, I left a voicemail and will hopefully find out directly. Will report back if I find out anything interesting.