Repair vs Replace?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
newatthis

Repair vs Replace?

#1 Post by newatthis »

I just inherited my brother's house. The windows are all wood, in a (very funky, very small) custom-house built by a woodworker/tree-surgeon. The windows were never attached to the springs which hold them up, so if you open them, they crash down without a stick to hold them up. This is dangerous (for fingers) and one pane has already cracked from such a "crash." Also, the gasket/seal on the bottom has dried out so that the seal is not good. Can these problems be repaired? Who does this kind of work?

Windows on Washington

Re: Repair vs Replace?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Few and far between are the number of persons that are repairing anything wood these days. Can it be done, sure.

How old are the wood windows? That will determine some of the math on whether or not you should start trying to fix them or just scrap them and go with all new.

Any rot on the exterior of them? Double pane?

As far as how or where to source materials, I would start with the good ole YouTube U (i.e. YouTube University) as there are a bunch of examples of folks breaking down and servicing older wood windows.

These guys are your best source for a comprehensive parts supplier: https://blainewindow.com/

newatthis

#3 Post by newatthis »

The house was built in the late 80s, so I imagine that's when they were built. Double-pane. I haven't seen any rot but have yet to do a thorough inspection. Will do that tomorrow. Thanks.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

The 80's produced some of the worst windows in existence. If you are truly only in need of some seals and hooking up the balance springs you may be okay, but be careful about how much you spend on them.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yeah. Don't want to stop you from your exploration journey, but there isn't much worth saving from the 80's except the music and the guy name Ronnie that sat in the White House.