Window leaking...

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
djdanko1

Window leaking...

#1 Post by djdanko1 »

Hello all,

I just bought a house that was built around 2011. I noticed when we got a heavy rain a large number of my viynl windows would start to accumulate water on top of the lip that is used to raise and lower the window. I've cleaned everything out and made sure the weep holes were not clogged and it still happens. I am totally stumped at what possibly is going on here.

Any suggestions on how to address this issue?

I can't seem to find any information on the manufacturer either. The sticker says "Kensington homes windows and republic windows" any ideas?

Randy

Re: Window leaking...

#2 Post by Randy »

Do you have any photos that you could post up for us to see what’s going on?

If the lift rail is on the bottom of the sash, it could be water moving around the IG unit and that can be remedied (short term) by sealing the exterior perimeter of the IG unit with silicone. Just a guess though.

djdanko1

#3 Post by djdanko1 »

Attached are some pictures of the house windows. I can take better ones when I am home.
Attachments
Room 1.jpg
Font.jpg
Bathroom.jpg

djdanko1

#4 Post by djdanko1 »

Here is one of the lip. Not the best picture, but the best I have right now.
Attachments
IMG_20220828_183652.jpg

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Appears to be internally glazed. I would pop out a sash and look at the weepers on the sash frame.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If the water is infiltrating the sash. You should be able to duplicate the leak with a garden hose.
If it is coming around the glass and pushing up over the glazing bead, the fix might be to deglaze, clean and reglaze. That means take the glass out of the sash, clean the glazing sealant or glazing tape off, run a bead of silicone to back bead the glass into the sash, put the glass back in, reapply the glazing beads.
Another option might be to clean the glass to sash interface on the exterior, run a small bead of clear or white silicone at the interface. I dont think this will last, but could work as proof of concept, it will be to small a bead to expect to last.
theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

You need to read up or see if you can find someone that can properly assess that window and its connection to the home.