New Build - Non-clad options?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mpertz1

New Build - Non-clad options?

#1 Post by mpertz1 »

Working on plans for my forever home. Probably looking like 3 years out. Waiting for supply chains to normalize and rates to go back down when the economy hits a wall over the next 2 years.

I have plans drawn up already w/ 3D rendering.

This is a walkout basement on a lake. Rear will have significant glass and faces almost perfectly East. Looking to use triple pane on the rear, double pane on the sides/front. Likely spend most of the budget on the rear and less on the kids's bedrooms that will have blackout shades/drapes in use 70% of the time.

What I want:

Black exterior
Black interior
Non-wood (aluminum, hybrid, fiberglass, UPVC?, vinyl?)
Large sliding or lift and slide on 3 levels. Looking to be something like 9' high on main level, 8' high on second and basement. 9-10 wide.

All operation windows will be casement. 60% or more will be picture/non operational. I'm in NW Iowa and the wind loads are heavy and persistent. We see -20° F in winter and 100° in the summer. High humidity.

I was originally thinking Pella Fiberglass but I see those are not highly thought after on here. Andersen is a no, how much more premium$ is the Marvin line? We have Windsor here in Iowa as well as some Minnesota brands.

I've thought about going Eurpoean (aluprof, Shueco, etc.) But I think my budget would be blown out of the water.

Just looking for brands/model lines to research. I do not have the budget or want to be passivehouse/net-zero. Just a modern code/moderately tight home.

Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: New Build - Non-clad options?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I'd look at some of the FG brands out of Canada that have a heavy leaning towards efficiency numbers and performance.

Fibertec is well regarded.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you are doing TP(tripe pane) I would look for something that has 1 3/8" IGU.

InLine Fiberglass out of Canada does have it. They were never easy to deal with. But for a full house it might work.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Understatement to be certain there Wayne.