which side is the bead on?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
cl206

which side is the bead on?

#1 Post by cl206 »

Hello! Pros!
Sorry if I break any rules, it is my first post.
We have a rental property (long story, I didn't even want it to begin with)
and there is a window on a second floor that is double paned. It is foggy and has condensation. From my limited research it would appear that it is a IGU whose seal has failed. The place is an hr away from me so I can't just check it right away. My question is how can you tell if the bead is interior or exterior? Is it obvious? Ive seen on YT on typical vinyl windows, you break the bead on one side and then possibly use a flat thingy and break the "tape" or "glue" on the other side. I will try to get a picture up in the future when I am at the property. Oh the window in question stationary and is in the middle flanked by two sliding windows.
Thanks for any help!
-Charlie

Windows on Washington

Re: which side is the bead on?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is it a 3-Lite slider or a picture window with sliders on either side?

Post up a picture.

cl206

#3 Post by cl206 »

Hello! I hope this works. It is a pic I took a few weeks ago.
I will definitely get more pics next time. Any help/hints/comments are welcome. Even from the peanut gallery :D

https://imgur.com/f1NIE5r

-Charlie

cl206

#4 Post by cl206 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:48 am Is it a 3-Lite slider or a picture window with sliders on either side?
I think the latter. The middle window doesn't slide. I'm in no rush. My wife is saying wait til next Spring but I
want to fix as soon as I can.
Thanks so much!
-Charlie

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

"appears" to be internally glazed. But that picture is tough to tell.

cl206

#6 Post by cl206 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:18 am "appears" to be internally glazed. But that picture is tough to tell.
I will definitely get better pictures at a later time. But it is an IGU right? Also internally glazed means the beads are from the interior right? Thanks a lot for your help!
-Charlie

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

IGU = Insulated Glass unit

Hard to tell, but appears to be a spacer crumbing IGU. Yes.

If the glazing bead is facing the inside, I would call that internally glazed.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to Wow's feedback, hard to tell from that pic though.

cl206

#9 Post by cl206 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:09 pm IGU = Insulated Glass unit

Hard to tell, but appears to be a spacer crumbing IGU. Yes.

If the glazing bead is facing the inside, I would call that internally glazed.
Great thanks! For sure i will be back in the future with much better pics. I really appreciate your time and help!
Charlie

cl206

#10 Post by cl206 »

HomeSealed wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:23 pm +1 to Wow's feedback, hard to tell from that pic though.
Thanks! I will be back in the future with much better pics. I really appreciate your time and help!
Charlie

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Reglazing the window can be a little tricky.
You need to have a source to purchase good IGU.
You have to remove at least one glazing bead to check dimensions, all are critical, thickness- width- height.
Once yo have the glass then you can deglaze the old clan and wet glaze/back caulk the frame place the glass and reinstall the glazing beads.
Had a friend in NC who did his own. He had two spare sash in his garage. I gave him all the directions and he broke one piece, it was okay cuz he had two. Joe is a very handy guy.

Yoy might consider calling a local glass shop.

cl206

#12 Post by cl206 »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:48 pm Reglazing the window can be a little tricky.
You need to have a source to purchase good IGU.
You have to remove at least one glazing bead to check dimensions, all are critical, thickness- width- height.
Once yo have the glass then you can deglaze the old clan and wet glaze/back caulk the frame place the glass and reinstall the glazing beads.
Had a friend in NC who did his own. He had two spare sash in his garage. I gave him all the directions and he broke one piece, it was okay cuz he had two. Joe is a very handy guy.

Yoy might consider calling a local glass shop.
My plan is to watch as many YT videos on this subject as much as possible. I might not have the talent but I have the determination :D . I also plan to take the IGU out and hopefully bring it to a glass shop so they can measure for me exactly as well and then temporarily put the window back. And of course I am always appreciative of the expert advice from this forum. But then again things often don't go according to plan lol.
Thanks for the tips.
-Charlie

cl206

#13 Post by cl206 »

Hi I might be able to get some better pics today. But quick question, how do I know if the IGU is dry glazed, tape glazed or silicone glazed even before starting the job? On every YT video I watched, NO ONE mentioned how they know before they started the job. Please let me know someone. This window is on the second floor and it would be nice if it is indeed dry and internal glazed.
-Charlie

WindowsDirectCinci

#14 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Its sometimes visible to the eye on the opposite side of the glazing bead. I wouldn't plan on removing the IGU taking it to the shop and reinstalling it unless your ok with having plywood in place of the glass for however long it takes to get one made. If its wet glazed id give you about a 5-10% of doing that successfully. If its tape it may just fall out if you're lucky. Just call a pro out to do it they'll handle everything and make sure its correct. You've probably already invested more time into this project than its worth.

cl206

#15 Post by cl206 »

WindowsDirectCinci wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:05 pm Its sometimes visible to the eye on the opposite side of the glazing bead. I wouldn't plan on removing the IGU taking it to the shop and reinstalling it unless your ok with having plywood in place of the glass for however long it takes to get one made. If its wet glazed id give you about a 5-10% of doing that successfully. If its tape it may just fall out if you're lucky. Just call a pro out to do it they'll handle everything and make sure its correct. You've probably already invested more time into this project than its worth.
Hey thanks for your feedback. I actually took some pics and decided to "tackle" the job. The left slider window and the middle stationary window both need new IGUs. I was able to lift and take out the left slider window really easily. I then proceeded to pop the plastic stops and was staring right at the IGU (photo below). Unfortunately I got carried away and used a cheapo pizza knife lol to try to cut the "wet" glaze and caused a crack in the glass. We stopped and taped the crack and measured the best we can and put everything back. It may have been tape glazed (I am pretty sure it is not dry glaze.) For the middle section I just popped the stops and measured while it was still in the sash.
Overall I was pretty please with the progress. I just hope my measurements are good! I did have a not too expensive digital caliper/micrometer (not a starrett or mitutoyo) for measuring the thickness (7/8") while the IGU is still in the sash.

I also need to replace that geometric IGU at the top b/c for some reason there is a crack. I will post updates!!! Oh all the stops are interior for sure.

Can someone tell me the name of this kind of window? middle one doesnt move and the two left and right do slide. Thanks!

-Charlie

First pic is the set of windows and second pic is the right slider with the stops out, exposing the still glazed to the sash IGU.
https://imgur.com/a/08Qd7DM