mounting replacement windows over old casing

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MattFoCo

mounting replacement windows over old casing

#1 Post by MattFoCo »

We got a log cabin and the windows need replacing. Homedepot gave us a quote that wasn't bad. But, when we were talking about the install process the guy said they wouldn't remove the interior casing and they'd mount the new window over the old casing.

Is this normal or okay? I'd think mounting a window on boards that're held in with trim nails is not a longterm solution. But, I'd like to hear more experienced opinions.

Thanks

HomeSealed

Re: mounting replacement windows over old casing

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Yes, it is normal for casing to stay in place in a replacement window install. From there, I think there may be some misunderstanding as the new window wouldn't mounted to the casing, it's screwed in through the jamb. Sales rep may have been inexperienced or just poorly communicated the methodology.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

What windows are there now? Wood?

MattFoCo

#4 Post by MattFoCo »

HomeSealed wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:53 pm Yes, it is normal for casing to stay in place in a replacement window install. From there, I think there may be some misunderstanding as the new window wouldn't mounted to the casing, it's screwed in through the jamb. Sales rep may have been inexperienced or just poorly communicated the methodology.
You are correct. I called him back and asked. It's all good now.