Home Depot Quote

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
poops

Home Depot Quote

#1 Post by poops »

I had a Home Depot 'salesperson' visit my house to provide a quote for 9 window replacements. I did not expect to given a sales pitch. I just wanted to know how much it would cost to buy and install (9) windows.

Anyway, I was quoted $4900 for the Simonton 6100 series. Do you think this is a fair price?

Thanks in advance.

windowrep

#2 Post by windowrep »

great pellaman, you beat me to it. you invited a salesperson to your house and where surprised you received a sales pitch? people still amaze me, you have a person in your house with a sample window and all the information you could possibly want on that window. instead of taking advantage of that opportunity you will ask someone on the internet that has never been to your house and you have no idea who they are.

poops

#3 Post by poops »

No offense, but you folks need to get off your pedestals. I had done my research and knew exactly which windows I wanted to purchase. I just wanted to know how much it would cost to have the them installed. I had gone to HD to pick out the windows; and I was told by one of their salespeople to call a number that will send an installer to my house. I guess I just should have called a handyman.

I live in Chicago. I want to get replacement windows. I knew I wanted the Simonton 6500 series windows. Because it has the E* rating, nfrc, and aama certificaitons. I also love that the soft Low E is available on the 6500. However, the sales gal was really pushing the 6100. And, that's what she gave me a quote for.

So, forum experts, please gimme a honest opinion about my initial post.

windowrep

#4 Post by windowrep »

i don't have a pedastal. what would i need a pedastal for? what does one do with this pedastal thing? poopsie, buying anything in life is about comfort level. do you feel comfortable with the quality of windows and the quality of install you will receive for that amount of money? are you comfortable with the company you are doing business with? are you sure they will be their to address concerns when or if they arise? it sounds as though you are not even sure what window you want to put into your house even though you stated otherwise. how much are pedastals anyway? are they a stocking stuffer or a main gift. can i still put that on my christmas list this late in the season or will i have to wait till next year? is assembly required? i bet home depot sells them. i will check as soon as possible. maybe you can give me the number to the sales gal from home depot. i'll check on the price for the simonton 6500's for you, and the price for a pedastal. good luck

WindDoze

#5 Post by WindDoze »

LOL Windowrep and Pellaman, I haven't seen a double team like that since Randy Moss was traded from the Vikings!

Home Depot sells and installs the same windows (Simonton 6100 and 6500) all across the country using basically the same price schedule, so if your definition of a "fair" price is that thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands?) of other people across the country paid roughly the same price for the same product, I'd call it a fair price.

But Poops, if you truly are working to educate yourself about Simonton, you should look at the 9800 and 9400 windows. The 9800 is very similar to the 6500, most of the differences are cosmetic -- although the 9800 has more options available. The 9400 is for all practical purposes the same window as the 6100. The difference is that the 9800 and 9400 windows are available through local dealers -- not a bix box like HD. You'll most likely get a little more individual attention, and in many cases you might even save a buck or two! In Chicago Evergreen Door and Window is your guy. (708) 423-1720

Nobody

#6 Post by Nobody »

The Home Depot Simonton 6500 is very similiar to the Simonton 9800???

It has been stated in this forum, and another windows forum, on multiple occasions that the HD 6500 is a modified Simonton Reflections 5500. I don't think I've ever read anyone claim that it was a 9800 before.

WindDoze

#7 Post by WindDoze »

In Simontonland the 9800 Impressions is really a better window than both the 6500 and the 5500. (According to Simonton the larger the number the better the window, but side by side they are extremely similar.) It has a 1" glass pack as opposed to 7/8", superspacer as opposed to intercept, a different glazing bead, locks and lift handles, but essentially the same frame and sash.

It used to be sold directly through individual dealers in specific markets. (I'm an Impressions dealer in Mpls). Simonton has made some changes to the distribution program this year. I know that they are now rebranding the Impressions program as Generations and rather than going direct with it to dealers, they are offering it through Norandex and allowing them to give it to one company as an exclusive in each market. But the old Impressions dealers are still out there, I'm not the only one on this board.

poops

#8 Post by poops »

Doze,

Thanks for your responses.

daveincincy

#9 Post by daveincincy »

LOL, I think you offended the salesfolk.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth, I went to HD for something unrelated to windows, and saw the hot dog stand outside the front door. I was hungry, they were free, so I figured I'd grab one. All they asked was that I fill out the form to get a free quote on siding and/or windows. Seeing as I was going to be looking into siding and windows, and I was a bit hungry, I filled out the postcard. Anyway, I got a quote for 19 Simonton windows from HD (yes, I had to listen to the speel, the credit application process, 90 days same as cash, etc etc...). Their bid was somewhere around 14k. I got another quote from another small independent contractor for the same windows and he came in at around 9.5k.

Cliffnotes Shop around. HD was competitive when it came to siding, but was way off on the windows. I probably won't be using HD for the siding either.

Dean S

#10 Post by Dean S »

How was the hot dog? I was thinking about a Menards hot dog vs a Home Depot hot dog.

daveincincy

#11 Post by daveincincy »

Dean S wrote:How was the hot dog? I was thinking about a Menards hot dog vs a Home Depot hot dog.
More satisfying than the quote for the windows and siding. :)

apidiva

#12 Post by apidiva »

does anyone know anything about comfort world series 4000 vs. simonton series 6100? there seems to a price difference and i want to know how much quality i am giving up for the cheaper option. in the demos, they both felt, weighed and looked exactly the same. but i'm no window expert.
thanks.