Fiberglass vs Fibrex (renewal by anderson)

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DandB

Fiberglass vs Fibrex (renewal by anderson)

#1 Post by DandB »

Help-we are in the midst of deciding how to replace our 35+wood windows. have seen the anderson window-and it looks nice but plan to look at ComfortLine and perhaps Marvin. The Anderson quote was pretty high-but I do like the look of the fibrex over the look of vinyl. Any suggestions?

toejam

#2 Post by toejam »

Ask your Renewal rep. for some references. I'll bet that he won't give you any.

I heard the Renewal presentation and also got a Marvin quote. I think I'm going with Marvin, even though it's higher.

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

There are a couple types of Fiberglass windows out there today. I know Milgard, Marvin & Pella all offer a good quality window. I wouldn't compare them to Renewals window as I'm not a huge fan of their program. I have installed a bunch of the Pella Impervia window and find it's a great window. Pellas "Duracast is the strongest most durable material available in the industry. We had a house here in town go through a huge hail storm this past Summer. Almost every other home in this neighborhood had huge damage to their windows. The Impervia windows stood tall and strong with only one broken IGU.

No matter which one you choose, you have the ability to paint these windows inside and out. It's a great option if your looking for a custom color to match your home. Good Luck!!!

researcher

#4 Post by researcher »

I chose Renewal because i wanted a natural wood interior and the exterior color (tarantin) suites this house this house so i will not have to paint. The one thing i did not know for sure is how good there service would be, but i am happy to say it was first rate.

researcher

#5 Post by researcher »

Sorry... color is (Terratone)

windowguru

#6 Post by windowguru »

Fibrex is what exactly? Recycled vinyl and wood fibers right?

DandB

#7 Post by DandB »

Yes, it is a composite of wood/vinyl

windowguru

#8 Post by windowguru »

what is the glass package like?

amore125

renewal questions

#9 Post by amore125 »

first off...references for the fibrex product shouldn't be a problem...there have been over a million windows installed...the glass package is made by cardinal...hgh performance, low e squared with an argon/nitrogen blend and stainless steel spacer....this is the same glass used in the andersen wood windows and patio doors...the fibrex can be painted and comes in four colors...also available with a wood interior veneer....this is all from the product literature...can't help that there are andersen bashers here but there are plenty more happy andersen customers

windowguru

#10 Post by windowguru »

thanks amore good info

whats with the two gases though? You must admit that is a gimick The denser gas settles below the argon, they don't mix, just like oil and water!

researcher

#11 Post by researcher »

Oberon, can you say something about the purpose of an argon/nitrogen gas blend?

Guy

#12 Post by Guy »

I do know that originally, the space was filled with air or flushed with dry nitrogen just prior to sealing. This was an old school method used before they were putting inert gasses in glass. I'm not sure anyone uses this process anymore. The air in the IGU carries heat to the top of the unit and settles into cold pools at the bottom. Filling the space with a less conductive gas minimizes overall transfer of heat between two glass layers. Manufacturers today mainly use argon and krypton gas fills, with measurable improvement in thermal performance. Argon is inexpensive, nontoxic, nonreactive, clear, and odorless. The optimal spacing for an argon-filled unit is the same as for air, about 1/2 inch. Krypton has better thermal performance, but adds an expense to the glass. Krypton is particularly useful when the space between the glass is thinner than normal. Otherwise I'm sure Oberon or Fen will be by with more information.

amore125

gas blend guess

#13 Post by amore125 »

i think the nitrogen is a larger molecule than the argon? therefore it helps keep the gases from leaching out? i've read that due to the thermal expansion and contraction of vinyl frames that this is a serious issue? any comments?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#14 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Amore said:
i've read that due to the thermal expansion and contraction of vinyl frames that this is a serious issue? any comments?

Why don't you tell us ...since you have been the only one to ever say it,............ over and over and over and over.

Your Renewal sales must be slow to come back here. I thought you were through with this board and all it's "so called experts".

Oh BTW, how did your summer science project go? Did the grass die under that small vinyl window you were going to throw out in the yard all summer?

amore125

it's amazing what you claim to know

#15 Post by amore125 »

are you a scientist? a physics professor?
i just figured out thru common sense that a hollow vinyl window frame makes no sense whatsoever...

go to this website for starters and do some real research...
after this i will give you 20 more

http://www.vinyl-windows.org/

and watch your mouth..i am getting tired of it...i just asked a few questions