HELP...on windows.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
my1st

HELP...on windows.

#1 Post by my1st »

My husband called an ad the Midweek re: windows. They advertised as a Window Wholesalers, Inc. w/a toll free number. $199.00 regular $419 installed per window up to 101 U.I. No Tax. Fully Welded Sash Frame, Free LowE Glass and Free Argon Gas, Free Krypton Gas and foam-filled. It's a family owned business. The only other estimates we've gotten is 10,000 from Home Depot on their double-pane and $9,000 from Window Wizards for their triple-pane. This place estimated for 16 windows, double-pane around $4,000. With the above mentioned, no tax and lifetime guarantee......Can I get anyone's thoughts on how this may sound? Thank you....

P.S. This is the second time that I've posted on this site....

windowguru

#2 Post by windowguru »

who makes the window, who installs it, who guarantees it?

$199 a window why is it so much less? how much is spent manufacturing that window, how much are the installers paid to put it in?

I am by NO means endorsing Home depot or WW, I believe you could do better than both in the $9-10k range

Remember the old saying, if it's to good to be true....

That applies to home remodeling as much as anything else

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

If this is the local company around the Philadelphia I'm thinking of, I would check the BBB about them. I'm also pretty sure that that price does not include exterior capping, this is where they may try to make up some ground on the cheap price.

I once worked for a large company that sold the same prodcut as Window Wholesalers. Several of the Pros on this board have mentioned that they once sold the same window at some point in their career and had terrible quality control issues. Most dealers only paid about a $100 for this window. When I worked for this company years ago I would try to get out on as many installs as I could to see how the projects were shaping up. Some of the subs that I meet mentioned that they once worked for this company and didn't have the nicest things to say about them.

I know that the window that they are using has problems wtih the interlocks not meeting correctly causing the homeowner to not be able to seal the sashes when locked, thus you will get terrible drafts. Also, it seems that air comes right up through the balances and jambs. Also, this window is a perfect example of a vinyl window that must have steel reinforcement, which it does not.

If I could give any safe advice, I would keep doing more research and find several brands that have good reviews and try to contact the manufacturer directly. They should be able to put you in contact with a reptutable local dealer.

I once had a business partner that just loved this window (because of it's cost) and really liked the how much business Window Wholesalers does. The owners do very well for themselves, and I'll be the first to agree that virtually no one can match his prices. We thought long and hard about the repercussions of being a "high volume" dealer that sold strickly on price. I determined that I simply didn't want the headaches of being a Yugo dealer.

Good Luck,

Mike

my1st

#4 Post by my1st »

Thanks so much for your advie. Yes, their called Window Wholesalers, Inc., their on Ford Road I think Bensalem, PA.

Were going to keep on looking. I've called Pella to have them come out and give us an estimate.

my1st

#5 Post by my1st »

Can anyone recommend a good company/window in the Bensalem, PA area. Thank you.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

I don't know first hand about the installations of most of the companies in that area. However, I do know that several of the local dealers carry a product from Thermal Industries, outside of Pittsburg, PA.

One dealer that should be real close is Definis & Sons Window & Door Company Inc. The showroom that I visited was right off of 95 around Bensalem. I had stopped in to check out their great showroom that was featured in the November, 2004 issue of Window & Door, which is a magazine for those in the industry.

They did a neat write up on them and I wanted to see what they had to offer. Although we may overlap into South Philly and New Jersey as a competitior of theirs, I didn't feel like posing as a customer and wasting their time. So I told them who I was and how I was in the area lost, stumbled upon this dealer that I had heard so much about and just wanted to see their incredible showroom for myself. The salesguy that I was talking to got real cold and went and got the owner. Next thing I know out walks this scary looking Italian dude right out of "Goodfellas." "I'm Rudy, the owner" he says! He initially treated us like some type of corporate spy and was ready to through me in the Delaware River with some concrete boots on I'm almost sure of.

After I assured him of our intentions and I sort of convinced Rudy that if I was going to case out his operation, I would have lied and acted like I was a potentional customer, eventually he warmed up and told us proudly about his products, services, and gave us some sound advice. From what I have heard about Definis is that they are fair priced and offer great installations. They use a product that seems very average, not exactly Schuco, but given their location and market it seems to be what is most efficient to sell as their money maker.

I do know that Rudy is very particular about his installers and the quality of sealants that he uses. It's a shame that you may have missed the home show last month. They had a big display there.

In that area there are two large manufacturers of low-end vinyl windows, Accu-Weld and North East. One of these companies has the potential to put out a decent product, but it seems to me that the pressure to put windows into the dealers hands at such a low cost seems to have an effect on the quality of workmanship and pride that goes into manufacturing. The other company I don't know that much about other than some litature that gets sent to us every now and then about becoming a dealer. That being said, I would watch out for some of the local dealers wth prices that sound to good to be true.

I talked to my freind that works in the area about your post and he started popping out dealer's names left and right and what products they carry, he has been in the game a long time. Since I was driving I could not write them all down, and since I can't personally vouch for any of these companies I would recommend that any customer should learn as much from a site like this and then start getting several estimates.

my1st

Thanks Delaware Mike, my husband and I visited

#7 Post by my1st »

the Difinis showroom over the weekend. Actually, we made it there just in time, they were closing. I ended up putting a deposit down on their windows...I hope I made the right decision. We've been researching since November and here it only took my five minutes and I was sold on is window.

Their vinyl window is manufactured from a place called Thermal Industries, wondering if you've heard of them? Thanks again for all your advice and opinions.....In about 10 weeks we're have 16 beautiful new windows!!!

Windowman PA

Thermal Industries

#8 Post by Windowman PA »

I hope you have better luck than my local fire company! they bought & had installed less than 5 years ago thermal indusrtries triple pane windows & every sash has a smiley face looking at you :(

my1st

#9 Post by my1st »

Can you be more specific please? Thank you.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

We see this a lot of this with very low end vinyl windows, especially the ones that have only one lock. I have a friend that has a home that he is going to sell this summer that has two vinyl replacement windows that have mechanical cornered sashes, swiggle spacer, and only one lock. The bottom sash appears to be smiley because the top of the sash has bowed and looks like it is smiling at us. On top of that, he has seal failure with lots of condensation trapped between the panes of glass.

Perhaps some of the Pros can shed some light on what they know about Thermal Industries and their products?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I have installed a lot of them ever the years. There are better made products for the money as far as workmanship on the window itself. There also a lot worse. The literature for this window far exceeds the real products in my opinion.

The good thing is, a great installation can help to make up for a mid-grade window's shortcomings to a degree, so hopefully you hired a great installer and you will be totally satisfied.

It's too bad you didn't get to check out your local Schuco dealer in your neighborhood.(JMJ Windows) The dealer there has really good prices from what I have heard,(especially for the east coast where overhead is more), and carries a superior product.

my1st

#12 Post by my1st »

Difinis just left from taking measurements, according to the order I have three business days to cancel.. I tried to look for a shuco dealer in my area, however I was able to locate one. I also think the shuco's will cost about 1,000/window whereas this place is 6700 for all 16 windows w/the circular grids. I want a good window, but I can't do 1,000 for one window.... I hope if made the right decision!

windowguru

#13 Post by windowguru »

418 a window installed? seems a little cheap to me. When you started this thread it seemed like you wanted the go ahead for the 149 dollar windows, so my guess is you are a price shopper. This being the case don't be surprised if the windows are a let down. However with a great install and company backing them you may get by just fine. Best of luck either way.

my1st

#14 Post by my1st »

This was my first thread;

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:59 am Post subject: Confused w/windows. Can I get your opinions on...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home Depot and Window Wizards for vinyl replacement windows. We need 16 windows, we're looking at the double-pane from HD and the triple-pane with WW. Any advice would be appreciated?
Thank you.

This was in the 10,000 range. I thought that was a little high....

windowguru

Re: HELP...on windows.

#15 Post by windowguru »

this was your first post in this thread, that's what I was referring to.
my1st wrote:My husband called an ad the Midweek re: windows. They advertised as a Window Wholesalers, Inc. w/a toll free number. $199.00 regular $419 installed per window up to 101 U.I. No Tax. Fully Welded Sash Frame, Free LowE Glass and Free Argon Gas, Free Krypton Gas and foam-filled. It's a family owned business. The only other estimates we've gotten is 10,000 from Home Depot on their double-pane and $9,000 from Window Wizards for their triple-pane. This place estimated for 16 windows, double-pane around $4,000. With the above mentioned, no tax and lifetime guarantee......Can I get anyone's thoughts on how this may sound? Thank you....

P.S. This is the second time that I've posted on this site....