HOA limiting choices to 3 Manuf. Which is better?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ToyotaNpa

HOA limiting choices to 3 Manuf. Which is better?

#1 Post by ToyotaNpa »

My wife and I are looking to replace the windows on our 15yr old condo. Since we are in a condo and all major renovation must be approved and time is limited, so our choices are the following:

Harvey Comfort Plus or Trimline
BFRich Vintage
Sears Weatherbeater Max

Which of these would be the best product? Cost is an issue that I'll worry about later. So leaving out cost, if you had to choose, which of these would it be? I've read a lot of posts and while some say this is better than that, none have really compared these particular 3 makes/models.

-Some general info about my home-
---Windows---
We have approximately 6 windows of 36" x 72" (not sure about the height as I'm not at home now to measure). Additionally there are 3 french doors, 2 used as large windows, with single pieces of glass within each approx 30"x60". And finally we have 1 small octagonal window in the master bedroom, approx. 24" diameter.
---Environment---
Our home is located in Bethlehem, PA, which is about 1hr north of Philadelphia and 1.5hrs west of NYC. During the last 20 years I've lived in this area the climate has ranged from 10 - 100 degrees Farenheit, so we see all types of weather.

Any information you can provide would be most appreciated.
Thanks!

steidle1

#2 Post by steidle1 »

I don't know anything about the first two windows you mentioned; but I would not go for the Sears Weatherbeater Max ... I know you said money is not an issue right now; but they are WAY overpriced for the product they offer.

The Sears window is manufactured by Simonton and you could probably find a dealer in your area that carries their product and get it for much less...

I received a quote from Sears ... liked the window, but couldn't afford the price ... I researched Simonton windows and found a local company in my area that sold their product and received a quote for half the cost Sears was going to charge me!! Take the time to look around...

windowguru

#3 Post by windowguru »

you HOA is on the take. Sears? Very fishy

windowmann2000

#4 Post by windowmann2000 »

Going on limited information, I would choose Harvey and their Signature series first and their Classic series second. Sears only if I had money to burn. Theres nothing wrong with Sears windows, it's just there about double in price to most dealers. Your other choice BFRich uses Duraseal for a spacer, which brings back bad memories.

ToyotaNpa

#5 Post by ToyotaNpa »

Normally I would have time to go through the approval process and get most any brand I wanted, as long as they could make it in such a way that it was identical to all the other windows in the complex. The 3 I have listed are those that are already approved for install thanks to other condo owners who have completed the approval process.

I'm short on time due to another maintenance project going on with regards to wood trim and they ask that you get your windows replaced prior to the wood trim project. Hence I must select one of the 3 mentioned.

Thank you windowman...that's exactly the type of info I'm looking for. We aren't planning on staying in this place for more than 7 more years but then again, with housing as high priced as it is in my area, I'm just happy I got a place at all.