Steel Frames?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Darlene

Steel Frames?

#1 Post by Darlene »

We have a friend who was told by a replacement window company's salesman,
that the vinyl replacement windows he was selling has "steel frames."
That is written in the contract, that they signed, by the way.
So, they are confident they have 4 vinyl windows with steel frames.

Do vinyl replacement windows have steel frames, or was that simply
"painting the truth" by the salesman to make the sale?

Would love to know for sure!
Thanks!

windowrep

#2 Post by windowrep »

all higher end windows will have some sort of metal reinforcement at the very least along the meeting rails. maybe that is what they are referring to as metal framed. didn't your "friend" see the windows? how can a salesman paint the truth if you actually see the windows and inspect cut-aways of the actual window they are purchasing? give me a break.i blame it on the salesmen for not explaining his product correctly and i blame it on your friend for not looking closely at the window. by the way how does a salesman "make" a sale? please explain this to me.

windowmann2000

#3 Post by windowmann2000 »

Sometimes salespeople overstate a little. There are a number of vinyl's made with steel reinforcing and a number of them even have tubular steel running through both the sash and main frame. Sure makes the windows heavy but what I hear is mostly sales hype. Are you in Mo by chance?

WindDoze

#4 Post by WindDoze »

Are you sure he wasn't talking about their home? Occasionally we run into a home who's windows have existing metal frames that need to be cut out before the windows are installed. This is an added expense as it adds significantly to the time required to do the install. Is it possible your "friend" misunderstood what the sales rep was talking about?

Darlene

RE

#5 Post by Darlene »

To: "windowrep" Gee, please forgive me if I've offended you. That was not my intention. I was simply asking a question. I don't know how a salesman/salesperson "makes" a sale. Sorry for not using the correct word there. All I wanted to know was whether or not a vinyl window's frame is made of steel.

To: "windowmann2000" We are in TN. Thanks for your reply.

To: "WindDoze" I don't think he was talking about their home. He called my husband last night because my husband's done home improvement work before. He already has 4 replacement windows in his house, the one's I referred to in my initial post. They were rather expensive, so he thought my husband may know of other ones with steel frames that may be less expensive. We'd just not heard of a steel framed vinyl window. The way he explained it to my husband was the entire frame was steel covered in vinyl. Sorry, but that's the best I can explain it. Thanks

windowguru

#6 Post by windowguru »

Let us know what kind of window it is and you will get lots of feedback
:D

Darlene

#7 Post by Darlene »

windowguru wrote:Let us know what kind of window it is and you will get lots of feedback
If I find out I certainly will.

Thanks so much for your replies. I appreciate it! :)

Darlene

#8 Post by Darlene »

windowguru wrote:Let us know what kind of window it is and you will get lots of feedback
Hey there,

I found out the windows are Alside, "Excalibur."
(I hope that's the correct spelling!)

Thanks! :)

windowmann2000

#9 Post by windowmann2000 »

That's the correct spelling but the only metal in that window is a the meeting rails(bottom of the top sash and top of the bottom sash)

WindDoze

#10 Post by WindDoze »

I agree. Unfortunately a lot of sales reps out there don't get trained properly. They get a two day orientation where they spend more time learning how to close a customer than they do about how their window is put together. They are handed a window sample and sent out on leads.

It sounds like this guy's definately a newbie who doesn't know any better!

Darlene

#11 Post by Darlene »

Thanks a lot for your responses. I do appreciate them!