Great lakes triple pane vinyl vs schuco triple pane

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
windowguru

Great lakes triple pane vinyl vs schuco triple pane

#1 Post by windowguru »

How would you pros compare the two?

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Not even close in technology or appearance. I'd welcome anyone near Chicago to take a look as I am sure any other Schuco dealer would. Close performance numbers, but that's it. Two completely different classes.

windowguru

#3 Post by windowguru »

thanks fenex,

is it true that great lakes is in trouble as a company, someone was telling me they have been bought and sold alot lately. any info on that front?

windowmann2000

#4 Post by windowmann2000 »

Great Lakes has changed ownership a number of times. Originally Ralph Dahmen (not sure about that spelling) founded it, very sharp guy who's son owns Sunrise windows.
Somewhere in the 80"s Plygem became the new owner and later the SNE corp which owns Crestline and others and so on.
If they improved the spacer to Super Spacer or TPS they'd be one step down from the top shelf, the interior detail is vastly improved and looks as good as any other product I;ve seen including shadow grooved welds (which I understand there not doing again) so that would always sway me, and a much heavier sash.
The biggest problem with the window which is now one of the most improved windows from my yesteryear is price. Good window poor value as they'll come in around $750.00 wrapped for normal double hungs and get quite pricy with cosmetic extras.

DWS

Re: Reply

#5 Post by DWS »

Wow................... Schuco must really be an unbelievable window. I would love to look at them. Are they planning to deliver to the far south? I've compared The G/L Uniframe series revision 5 window (stand up and cut away) to the Alside, Siminton, Gorell, SilverLine, and any others around here and there's not one that I would consider a close comparison to the Uniframe-5 Window. So If Schuco's that much better, I need to talk to one of their reps.
Last edited by DWS on Mon May 22, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InfoSponge

#6 Post by InfoSponge »

I agree with windowman2000. When I looked at both the Great Lakes UniFrame and the Schuco Corona 4000 (this was a few months ago), the looks were high-end on both, in my opinion. The performance numbers were fairly similar, but the Uniframe has a less durable spacer technology and was more expensive at least from my local dealers, so the Corona looked like a better choice for my area. The warranties were augmented by they dealers and were basically the same for me (lifetime transferrable on all parts, non-prorated, glass breakage). The UniFrame had gadgets like foam filled frames and easy clean glass as well as a darker vinyl option, for those that think those are worthwhile/safe options (many would say not for all 3).