Replacement with new construction vs exsisting construction

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Don

Replacement with new construction vs exsisting construction

#1 Post by Don »

I am currently looking at replacing my single pane aluminum windows on a stucco home. How big a difference (advantage) does it make to break out the stucco and replace with a new construction vs going with a retrofit that does not require the frame to be removed?

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Don, the old frame can be removed without much damage to your stucco. Here in MN we either cut around the old unit with a Sawzall or pry it away with a big bar. The new window is sent to match the existing hole and slides right back in the opening. We will insert a new drip cap before inserting the window. We also make sure there is enough room to use an adhesive foam insulation to spray around the inside of the unit. Since the nailing fin has been cut it is very important to make the seal tight from any water penetrating the opening. We then use a good Polyurethane caulk to match the exterior. This will seal it up like a drum! Good Luck!!!

johnmr12

retrofit windows

#3 Post by johnmr12 »

Don, in my opinion, the only negative aspect about leaving the old frame in and retrofitting with a vinyl window is that you lose about 2 inches of window opening in height and width. But, if you're going to do the job yourself, it's faster, cleaner, and you don't have to hire a stucco guy to try and match your stucco pattern. I have a page on my website dedicated to retrofitting windows on a stucco home. Go to www.how-to-install-windows.com and click on the tab that says "california retrofit frames". Good luck.
Learn how to install vinyl replacement windows. Visit http://www.how-to-install-windows.com.

Don

#4 Post by Don »

Thanks for the info. My county does not allow for removal of the frame on a retrofit window. Some contractors were tearing the underlayment, creating water damage problems.