needing but hesitant to spend $

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ed

needing but hesitant to spend $

#1 Post by ed »

If you've already seen this, sorry. But I wrote this up once and submitted it, but it didn't go through. So, second time around (but now shorter)...

If you're going to get new windows, is it there a smart-choice between new construction and replacement. If I'm putting on new vinyl siding anyway, should I just go with the new construction window?

Installation questions: If I go new construction, presumably I cut back the existing siding enough to attach the nail fin and then flash over the nail fin. But what good does that do if he nail fin goes over he housewrap? What if water go behind he housewrap? Doesn't seem that the flashing (over the nail fin which is over the housewrap) will do any good? Do you have to have a metal drip edge on top of the window, or does the vinyl J-channel suffice?

Is there a smart-choice to make as far as wood vs. vinyl goes as far as durability, structural soundness, and longevity go?

Same question, but comparing aluminaum clad vs. vinyl clad?

So long as your close with being level (both vertical and horizontal), is that good enough?

If the rough opening is just a bit bigger than the window, are you better off butting one side flush and insulating the other side, or splitting the difference and insulating both sides.[/list]

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Here's a link on installation of New Construction styled windows. It's basic and easy enough to understand.

http://www.installationmastersinc.com/_wsn/page4.html

Product choice is all yours. Vinyl will bring you less maintenance and cost you less. The rest is just what you like. Hope this helps!![/url]

ed

conflicting info

#3 Post by ed »

Thanks for the site; yes it was simple enough to understand, but it said something that I question. I found a Pella site with installation instructions too. The Pella site said don't tape the bottom nail fin, but this site said to tape it. What to do?

Also, if the stud that the window rests on is level, do you still have to shim the bottom? (PS Pella says to tape that too, but I'm not sure what that would accomplish.)

ed

conflicting info

#4 Post by ed »

Thanks for the site; yes it was simple enough to understand, but it said something that I question. I found a Pella site with installation instructions too. The Pella site said don't tape the bottom nail fin, but this site said to tape it. What to do?

Also, if the stud that the window rests on is level, do you still have to shim the bottom? (PS Pella says to tape that too, but I'm not sure what that would accomplish.)

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

You are correct in Pella's installation ideas. Pella is worried about water getting trapped behind the fin and having an escape. They spent a ton of money on installation issues and product used with theirs. That is why they have their own window tape (which sticks in subzero temps). They are also the ones behind the push for Great Stuff to make a door and window foam. If you really put the window in right this will not be an issue. We did an air infiltration test with Ryland Homes on Capitol Windows. We did one without the caulk and tape on the bottom fin. Infiltration test was a 9% leakage. We then caulked and taped the next unit. This one only had a 3% loss. So there is a leakage difference in how you do it. Keep in mind this was a new home with a completely wrapped exterior. No heating system was installed yet. They were more concerned on how the Capitol windows would hold out. They passed with flying colors!!