Anderson failure

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
PK

Anderson failure

#1 Post by PK »

Just got asked to look at a job, Anderson frenchwood series slider aprox 7 years old the perma cladding is separating from the bottom of the door. Has anyone ever seen this before?
PK

freakmoder207

#2 Post by freakmoder207 »

Never, this unit must be in a place where water POUNDS it or it is getting water to stand under it between the threshold and the door.

PK

#3 Post by PK »

Its on a second story deck 1000 feet from a beach I wouldnt say it gets pounded though. The sill is aprox 6" off the deck
PK

freakmoder207

#4 Post by freakmoder207 »

Kinda got me stumped and worried, Ive used anderson products quite often and never han a problem, does the unit slide like it should, is the framing sound? Im not sure but I think I (my customers) got a 10 year non-prorated warrenty, thats transferable from owner to owner?

DWS

Re: Anderson failure

#5 Post by DWS »

perma cladding is separating

I have recently replaced a very large Anderson Window for the very same reason and it was about 8 years old. The vinyl cladding separated from the glass at the bottom of the picture window and rotted the window from the inside out. The sad thing is that it was a 15,000.00 window! It had a 4'x13' picture with 18" flankers, a 4' radius top with 18" reverse bends over that. All that had to come out to replace the center picture and repair structural rot under unit. It took 8 guys to carry out and set the new unit. The customer didn't go back with Anderson.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Wow, what a window. I'm sure it was gorgeous.
Wasn't the thing still under warranty? Did the customer just decide to put out the dough for another brand because he was disgusted?

PK

#7 Post by PK »

The door still operates almost like new. All of the framings is intact, house is vinyl sided and trim wrapped. the glazing apeared to be intact the wood behind the cladding was still in good condition no water damage. It is a very heavy door though. The only way i can describe it is when the edge of a formica counter top starts to peel up. Is there anyone here who could explain to me how the vinyl is applied to the anderson doors and windows. I mainly install vinyl windows and doors only.
PK

windowmann2000

#8 Post by windowmann2000 »

Show this Product to Andersen and they will take care of it. They gave me some new casements a few years ago where pretty much the same thing happened on the bottom of them. I called them first and when I didn't hear back I sent them a pic and they responded immediately. They even covered my labor. Despite the fact that Renewal kinda gets to me now and than they do stand in back of their products.

DWS

#9 Post by DWS »

Show this Product to Andersen and they will take care of it.

The Window turned out great. The interior trim was multi layered to match a custom fireplace mantle. I didn't check with Anderson it was just one portion of large job and the customer was not the original owner so we just moved forward with a brand I use locally. I should have check with Anderson, next time I will.