window installation

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
womyncan2

window installation

#1 Post by womyncan2 »

I have had 2 companies in to give estimates. The second one shocked me by saying they keep the existing frame(metal) in place and put their vinyl framework and window(Amerimax) on top of it. Has anyone ever heard of installs being done this way?? Please help!!!!!

PK

#2 Post by PK »

Its called a flush fin replacement. If done properly it will perform the same as a full rip out that is done properly. A flush install will cost less, however you will lose some glass area. A full rip out will cost more and you will have about the same glass area that you have now. The key in both cases is to make sure the install is done properly
PK

E-Z

#3 Post by E-Z »

Like PK said the critical part is the installation to be done right. You want your contractor to provide a detailed contract as to the method of installation.

Never let nobody tear out your aluminum windows without proper flashing.
And never let nobody retrofit your windows without proper insulation.
Just some corners people can cut!

E-z
E-z
E-z Windows

squeege73

#4 Post by squeege73 »

Marcie,

Stucco fin installations are fine if done properly. I pulled the link from Milgard's website for the AAMA 2410 guide which describes the proper installation method for that window type. It doesn't matter what window brand is being installed for this guide to be applicable. Make sure your installer checks for squareness on your existing windows. It can make for a messy installation if they have to start cutting window frames down due to settling of your house. Hope this guide helps. Good luck.

http://www.milgard.com/_doc/products/aama-2410-03.pdf