What window-types might look best in this situation?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Mark

What window-types might look best in this situation?

#1 Post by Mark »

We have already ordered all our vinyl replacement windows, but for the below 3 because we can't quite decide what might look best.

In our dinette, right now we have 3 double-hungs side-by-side-by-side. A 2" piece of trim separates one window from the next. The individual windows are 24" wide by 74" high. They are 7" off the ground, and go up close to the ceiling. Not considering the trim wood that separates them, the opening is some 74" wide by 74" high. The windows have a low ceiling because they are in a little alcove where the window-wall was pushed out like 6" from the regular wall (I'm not sure I'm explaining it correctly, nor that it matters).

The dinette is in the back of the house, overlooks our deck and the woods beyond, and we don't really have any neighbors that see the back of our house, so we don't have to be so perfect in what we do back there as the front of the house falls more under the homeowners association convenents.

We have been thinking of other than double-hungs in the dinette because we want more light to come in (than does now) and where the sashes meet it makes for a thickness that blocks a little of the light. The rest of our house is double-hungs (for the most part).

Our first thought was either 3 casements or a O-X-O slider (did I get that correct, where the center would not move?). Only problem (in my mind) is that something like a 1/4 1/2 1/4 slider would make the two side windows extremely narrow and tall - might look funny. Have thought of getting a bay or bow (whatever the difference may be) but we worry that the cost will be +thousands over casements/double hungs. With either the casements or the slider, the controls to open the window would practically be on the floor.

Many of you experts have sold or installed or viewed thousands of windows, so, please, what suggestions do you all have for what might look best in our dinette?

Thank you.