Anderson buys Silverline

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
tah

Anderson buys Silverline

#1 Post by tah »

I've seen the Andersen reps here bash vinyl and been in homes where they just left telling the owners why they need to avoid vinyl because it's weak, a thing of the past...etc.....

Well looks like Anderson is going in the business. From the latest Window & Door issue Anderson is buying Silverline. From the article.....

Jim Humphrey, Anderson President and CEO, "Vinyl windows serve a segment of the market that is growing rapidly. Adding this product line to the enterprise's portfolio will enable an Andersen company to provide windows and doors for virtually any new construction or home improvement project in any area of the country."

If you can't beat em, join em. What you got to say now, Renewal Reps????
I'm not a salesman, but I play one on TV!

researcher

#2 Post by researcher »

I am not a Renewal Rep. but i had one out to my house last year. I would not say that he was bashing vinyl, but what he was doing was stating the difference between vinyl and Fibrex. Found out later that what he said about Fibrex and vinyl are facts. When facts are pointed out, is that bashing?

tah

#3 Post by tah »

researcher wrote:Found out later that what he said about Fibrex and vinyl are facts. When facts are pointed out, is that bashing?
When the facts are blown out of proportion to make your product appear superior, absolutely. Is Vinyl weak? In some cheap thin windows yes. In the mid grade to higher end thicker framed windows, no.

Is Vinyl a thing of the past? It's been the fastest and largest growing segment of the replacement business for something like the last 10~15 years. I'd have to say no.

Here's my point.....if vinyl was so bad, and is still so bad, then why is Anderson acquiring this company? Will they go out and sell vinyl as weak and a thing of the past when this merger is over. I doubt that will happen. They will then change the "facts" to what they need to be to suit them. Then we'll have Andersen reps on this forum telling us how Anderson has added some really cool ingredient to vinyl that somehow makes theirs superior to what anyone else is offering. The secret ingredient will probably be sawdust.....oops I'm sorry "reclaimed wood product", or was that "reclaimed wood fibers"?????

I didn't mean this thread to be another RBA vs Vinyl argument. That's been done to death and from everything I can read premium vinyl wins, especially in the price vs value debate.
I'm not a salesman, but I play one on TV!

windowmann2000

#4 Post by windowmann2000 »

tah, it's good to jab RBA now and then, just to make sure they stay down.