just for fun

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ed

just for fun

#1 Post by ed »

Still find this site educational and enjoyable. Like to hear what folks like FenEx, Oberon, Guy and others have to say.

But just for fun, you guys have any humorous short stories on the stupidest things you've seen people screw-up with installs so that I don't repeat the boneheaded mistakes.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I mentioned this once on the old board but will repeat it in a little more detail.
Back in the late 70's my helper and I went to install a home full of windows in a brick one story row home in Whiting, Indiana. All the homes in the neighborhood were identical.
The installation manager had worked it out that the people would leave the door open since they would be at work from early morning until 5 o'clock. We installed and capped all the windows (about 15 windows) and were just getting ready to leave when the people came home. They started screaming at us asking what the "heck" we were doing in their home. I explained we were sent to install their windows. They responded they didn't buy any windows! I then was told that the people's name on my contract belonged to the folks next door. I started panicking, seeing my job flying away. I quickly checked the address on the contract, and to my relief, it was the salesman's mistake.
Needless to say, these people laughed when my boss offered them the windows at a 10% discount. They ended up with all new windows for free. I guess they had my boss at a little bit of a disadvantage since we broke into their home and tore out all their old windows.

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

W4U that's a great one!!! LMAO for an hour after reading that. I myself have pulled some good ones. The one I will never forget is going on a service call for a major window company (cough,Sears). I had to inspect a window job that was installed by another contractor. The window in question was a very large Bay unit two stories in the air. It was 52" tall and almost twelve feet long. It had a nice view out over the lake like nothing I've ever seen. The customer was complaining of sagging in the window and the crank outs wouldn't draw all the way back. I got up inside and tried adjusting the windows. I was moving all around doing anything I could to make them work. I set my level on the seat board to find it was about 2" out of level. I then looked around to see how it was fastened in the opening. I reached out over the window and outside under the unit to feel the cable ends. They were loose and I could pull them out of the bottom. Now for anyone out there who doesn't know anything about a bay unit. The cables hold the unit in place and level. It also holds up the majority of the weight. Needless to add my 300 pound body rolling around like a Defensive Lineman ready to tackle someone. I looked back at the homeowner a started praying for Captain Kirk to beam me out of there instantly. I tried to think I was a feather and slowly crawl out of the opening. This window is about 20 feet in the air!!!! I don't bounce I make impressions in the earth when I hit!! I slowly stepped out of the window and on the floor. I then was going to ask the homeowner if I could use the restroom to check my shorts. It wasn't ten seconds after I stepped out of that window and it let loose, falling to the ground. This thing hit the rocks below like a bomb. It exploded into a thousand piecesscattered over a forty foot area. I looked at the homeowner and said "found your problem". He didn't laugh very hard. His daughter would sit in there every day. Needless to say we had to scamper to board it up and order a new window. The customer was a good person saying no harm no foul. So life went on without any legal action. We installed a new unit two weeks later. It is still there today!! It's not really a funny story but I will never forget it. I can laugh at it now!!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

"I think I found your problem" Guy, that's really funny!! I'm still chuckling. What a perfect punchline!

I've got one more little story. We had a salesman for the same company as my last story that was so sold on the windows we had that he thought they were good for any application. Anyway, he sold a big doublehung window as a skylight window. Needless to say, the first time it rained, the window leaked ALL the water that poured over it right into the customers bed. I don't know how that one slipped by the boss and got installed, but like,... duh. :shock:

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

I bet they got a nice breeze in the evening. A hail storm would have given them a more shattering experience. That's good! I also have a short one. I had another issue where I was sent out to look at another installers job. The customer was having problems locking their new windows. I got out there and walked up to the house. I reached up and unlocked the window then pushed it open! From the outside!! Seven windows in backwards and wrapped. Why I never took a picture is beyond me. I had them spun around in about an hour. I just can't belive some peoples children!! Nothing better than a good chuckle before we go to work!!

Oberon

#6 Post by Oberon »

you guys have made my morning!

I have nothing to compare with any of those.
Guy, describing yourself rolling out of that window just before it goes free-fall! I was laughing so hard.
W4U, I would have peed my pants when those people came charging up!!!