Vinyl vs. Fiberglass Replacement Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Guy

#31 Post by Guy »

Longevity issues between vinyl & fiberglass can't really be compared yet. The prognosis of fiberglass lasting 40+ years could be a great assumption, but we'll have to wait until the fiberglass window industry reaches that age. In 1959, U.S. vinyl resin manufacturer BFGoodrich Company pushed vinyl into the American marketplace in styles that were patterned after traditional wood and metal windows. This was the beginning of today’s vinyl window industry in North America. Vinyl was already being used by Germany (pioneers of the Schuco) long before that. So vinyl has seen the 40 year term, fiberglass still hasn't met that time frame yet.

Working in the door & window industry here in Minnesota since the early 70's I've definitely watched Marvin products change & grow. I can tell you that I've never seen many other family owned businesses go through the bashing & U.S. legal system, and survive. They went through some very difficult times and made it through. They now have some of the best product on the market (IMO). As for the statement on not having issues, they have their share just as the others do. The biggest issue with any window failure is usually improper installation. It's a huge problem in the industry across the Nation and always gets blamed on the manufacturer. In any case it's slowly getting better!

The bottom line being that vinyl and fiberglass in my opinion are really a toss up. Fiberglass can be painted inside and out to match any existing color. This is a big advantage to those who really need a certain color. Vinyl on the other hand is somewhat limited to colors. In either case you would be getting a good product. It's really what works in your home and appeals to your taste & needs. Good Luck!!!

JScott

#32 Post by JScott »

The 1st fiberglass door was manufacturered by Accurate Dorwin, the year was 1956.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#33 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I installed Ownens Corning fiberglass windows in the early-mid 90's. Anyone want to comment on how those windows perform, operate or look now. It's funny how nobody wanrts to talk about them when up-talking fiberglass. You'd think they'd bring up those windows as an example of great longevity. :lol:........not!

Edit:
To be honest, I do think fiberglass will be a major player soon. I've just not seen one yet that has put together all the pieces I'm looking for....but I'm still looking. I'm actually in the process of looking at one now that shows promise from what I've heard of the specs. What the real window looks like, ...we'll see.
My post above was just intended to make people realize that just because a material is good, it doesn't make the window brand good. All fiberglass windows don't beat all vinyl windows, or vise versa.
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windowman PA

great point!

#34 Post by Windowman PA »

Dave, I too sold owens corning new construction windows, from day one they were a service waiting to happen! corners pulling apart :( vinyl snap in glazing bead would warp around glass, balance system would not hold weight of sash's up :oops: and paint finish looked good until customers check cleared.

I was at plant in PA & saw first hand bowed fiberglass pultrusion being made and shipped to dealers across USA :oops:

JScott

#35 Post by JScott »

So owens corning took the product off the shelf and starting making vinyl which performs the same. Just as with Vinyl, Silverline and Schucco are not a direct comparison even though they are both made of plastic and they both start with an "S" but they are worlds apart just as pella impervia and marvin infinity fiberglass are not equal. I agree both materials have there place and there are leaders and poor performers in each class. It is absolutely great if you think about it. If the brand X window was the best and we all sold and installed brand X then the consumer would buy brand x at the lowest cost from the guy with the lowest overhead and the window would last 50 years. It is a good thing most only last 10-20 years or half of us would be doing something else.

Cheryl

House Doctor and Windowman2000

#36 Post by Cheryl »

What is your opinion of Comfortline?

windowmann2000

#37 Post by windowmann2000 »

Were on our 6th Comfortline order this year and still are not overly impressed. I ordered three white/white units last week with grids and low-e and my invoice is $1313 incl freight. The only reason we went in that direction was the customer wanted to paint the interior. Draw backs to the window are-the old spiral balance system-the interior of real oak is difficult to stain and not of consistant quality and too many paint flaws on the non standard colors. The previous factors and the fact that the window is a little bulky (too much frame) and the price being a little steep, will probably keep us shopping for a different fiberglass window.
The obvious advantages, at least to us are it's paintability and interior oak option, which is sometimes suspect.
Cardinal makes their I.G units now, which is a plus but there test #'s are nothing spectacular. They do offer triple glaze with krypton fill and a good long term warranty, but I'd like to see more advancement into a unit with much less frame which because of the fiberglass could easily be done and a better interior wood option.
Fiberglass may well be the window of the future because of it's strength but the mfrg's don't quite have it all together yet.

earwax

#38 Post by earwax »

Was on vacation this last week and rented a beach house on the coast. Had the Milgard Utlra fiberglass windows in it. (Without coastal hardware...oops) The color was bronze and the window has turned chalky on the north and west facing windows. It took the time to play with the windows, since it was not my house. Very sturdy, no cracking, good operation. Color was a major distraction though. When they are first made and installed, they look great. These windows were from 1998, January according to the IG unit.

lsb

#39 Post by lsb »

i'm new to this window discussion and trying to make sense of it all. altho just in prelim research stages - i have only been to one window place but done a bit of online research - out of the three sample quotes they gave me i was leaning toward the fiberglass clad (marvin integrity) which are only slightly higher cost than milgard vinyl. My issue is mold. we are replacing 2 aluminum windows in our toddler's room of our 1920's SF Bay area house due to mold. i was avoiding vinyl because of the off gas issue. according to fenex's post that really isn't an issue, but i am still concerned. am i crazy to be? and does mold become an issue with either fiberglass or vinyl (i was told all aluminum eventually always gets mold altho that doesn't really matter as they sure don't keep any cold air out so we won't go that route, just don't want the same problem)? By the way, we HOPE to be out of this house in 3 years, but you never know......thanks for any help.

earwax

#40 Post by earwax »

The only time Off Gas will be of concern is if the house is on fire. If the house is on fire, you will have a lot more pressing issues than the off gassing fo the vinyl windows. Seriously, off gassing is produced when burned not in a state sitting in your house. That is not an issue to even consider when making a decision about the windows. If you are in the SF bay area there are plenty of good windows out there to choose from. Fiberglass and vinyl and wood for that matter. GOod luck. Let us know if we can help.

Cheryl

#41 Post by Cheryl »

Windowmann 2000, Thanks for your response. Have you dealt with Comfortlines sliding patio doors? If so, what is your experience there?

windowmann2000

#42 Post by windowmann2000 »

Sold one Comfortline PD. Very heavy according to the installers. Worked fine and rolls nice. It was white white and customer had thoughts of painting down the road, which steered us in that direction. Other than that I really don't have enough experience with them and their doors. One concern we had was digging out the old sill underneath the door and replacing it with something stronger as the weight could be a problem with a door that heavy.
I'm sold on fiberglass when it comes to longivity. If the corner gussets are proper these windows should last longer than they need to, and of course can be painted later on should the need arise. They claim the glass packs will last longer because of less movement. That remains to be seen. Were going to go with Milgard with fiberglass because for the next fifty years they'll send a man out in a Milgard truck wearing a Milgard shirt and fix whatever is wrong. I believe they have a stronger committment down the road than Comfortline, and a much better dialogue with their dealers. Comfortline is difficult to talk to. When I asked them why they were using the old spiral balance, the rep told me they took a poll amongst there dealers and it was the favorite.............I doubt it, as anyone whose been in the business knows that balancer and glass problems create the most service calls. That's just my opinion, but Comfortline just does not seem to be a leader in this business to me.

PrairieRider

#43 Post by PrairieRider »

Has anybody given consideration to the commercial ratings some FG windows carry. Fiberglass windows are being spec'ed on more and more commercial projects due to their superior performance and longevity.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#44 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I don't doubt that at all.
In the northern states especially I can see it would be a much better choice compared to aluminum. I'm sure we will see much more commercial being done with it as time goes on.
I have used a lot of aluminum in the past on commercial and wouldn't mind using fiberglass on future products.
When I first started in this business, there was no vinyl. All the replacement windows back then were aluminum. They are cold no matter whether they have a thermal break or not.

lsb

#45 Post by lsb »

thanks, earwax (i won't ask about the username :D ).....but you don't mention anything about the mold issue. do i need to worry about that at all? or anything that i'm not aware of being that my little guy sleeps right under this window? and if you have any recommendations for window places in berkeley, i'm all ears. thanks again.