Question on standard size windows used in a custom sized

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Aundrea

Question on standard size windows used in a custom sized

#1 Post by Aundrea »

Hello, I thank all of you for your previous help. After your help and looking further into the Marvin wood and Milgard wood windows, I have been now leaning more towards the Marvin. I decided to get more bids from different Marvin dealers. My house is an older house and therefore most of my windows will not have a tight fit with standard sizes. A few of the Marvin dealers wanted to use standard sizes and I assume fill the rest in with more wood and aluminum clad? I am really not sure how they do that? It would save me about $2,000 if I used the standard sizes, but my instinct tells me that is a bad ideal and that I should stick with the custom-built windows. Are my instincts right or is a savings of $2,000 worth it, if the windows can be filled in right? Thank you for your time once again.

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

We can down size an opening real easy most the time. The issue would be how much to go? Depending on how small they are going to make your opening will come into play here. If they can reuse your existing inside trim is very important. Will there be painting and drywall work on the inside? Will the outside look the same as the other windows? Are these in an area not visible to the public? If you need that new dress or want to treat yourself to a weekend on the beach. Something you may deserve just to relax a bit!! The savings will be worth it. If it takes away from the total look of your home or it adds a bunch of work for you. Then I'd question it. Hope this helps,

Aundrea

#3 Post by Aundrea »

Thank you Guy for your reply. I know you said that visible appearance can play a factor but can the loss of insulation also play a factor? My windows are the old metal casement windows that have storm windows added over them. They do sit at the very edge because they are so thin, making my window sills deeper then most newer homes. My house also has a solid brick exterior. Thank you once again for your time.

RC

#4 Post by RC »

Aundrea wrote:Thank you Guy for your reply. I know you said that visible appearance can play a factor but can the loss of insulation also play a factor? My windows are the old metal casement windows that have storm windows added over them. They do sit at the very edge because they are so thin, making my window sills deeper then most newer homes. My house also has a solid brick exterior. Thank you once again for your time.
Aundrea,
I have the same kind of old windows that you do (aluminum framed) with the deep sills. I decided to spend the extra bucks for the custom sized, since I wanted the maximum glass. I'm really glad I did! It gives me maximum light into the room and a great view.
RC

Aundrea

#5 Post by Aundrea »

Thank you RC for your reply.

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

Aundrea, If they install the windows right. Insulation will not be an issue. They will be able to insulate the new gaps when installation is done.

Guy