Air-Tite Windows questions

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
epc

Air-Tite Windows questions

#1 Post by epc »

I've looked for postings regarding this manufacturer but I did not see any that would address their quality and ratings:

Questions:

They have reps going into their homes to demonstrate their windows & have pieces of the windows to show how their window is reinforce with the metal bars all around and also with chipboard wood on the two sides to screw them. They also say it has an R value of 15.0. the Grids are inside for easy cleaning and they would replace any broken window as their guarantee. They are located in Cincinatti, Ohio along I-75 S.

I would like to hear some reviews about their quality and also their pricing, is it fair ? it looks like for a normal size (35 x 44) window it is about 550 dls installed.

http://www.airtitehomeproducts.com/win_options.php

Any Good comments or reviews about this ?

Thank you

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Spiral balances, swiggle seal spacer and strips of wood chipboard slid inside the vinyl frames...and for what purpose was that? It's sure not going to beat foam for insulation and I can't imagine it doing much for strentgh. I'd be worried about water getting inside the extrusion and for rotting to occur. How would it ever dry out if water got in with it?
It's been a long day and I'm exhausted...am I reading the specs right and got the correct take on this window guys? If I do, how many more ways could they screw up a window.....?

epc

#3 Post by epc »

it looks like that is one of why the window is a better window, since they have the wood to wood contact to install it! one of the sales pitch is also that other windows do not have the metal frame around and it is only vinyl wich would warp over time. theirs have the metal bar around the window (better reinforce) http://www.airtitehomeproducts.com/win_features.php

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

"am I reading the specs right and got the correct take on this window guys? If I do, how many more ways could they screw up a window.....?

Well, it appears they managed to find a few other ways. If you look at the photos, the sash frames are mechanically fastened, and not even fusion welded... YIKES!!! The OSB wood fillers are a low cost attempt to give a little more rigidity to a poor extrusion. So lets add it up. Spiral balances, Swiggle spacers, mechanically fastened corners next to OSB, aluminum reinforcing rods (much more conductive than steel), they don't edge delete their Low-E coatings... and they tell their customers that their window is an R-15- which is actually an R-3.3 according to the NFRC.

If there are other ways to screw up a window, I can't think of any at the moment. I think they have covered all the bases.

windowrep

#5 Post by windowrep »

fenex and w4u, i always respect your advise but to just slam products that you have limited facts on is misleading. i have only two questions for the both of you. easy questions requiring only a yes/no answer and a number. ready? is this a competing window of yours? yes/no
how many of these windows have you had to service or replace in your 25+ years in the industry? thanks

FenEx

#6 Post by FenEx »

windowrep

Answer: NO, it's not a competing window of mine.

Answer #2: I can't specifically recall replacing any of these windows by name, but I have replaced thousands of windows with spiral balances, mechanically fastened frames, swiggle spacers, and all of the other components used to make this window. Afterall, any product is simply a combination of it's parts.

Now, my turn.

Question #1: Which of our comments on the components mentioned above are innaccurate and what evidence would you like to give that my facts on the performance of those components are limited and/or misleading???? Think carefully as you will be hard pressed to find many here that will support the performance of any of them.

Question #2: Do you happen to sell these windows? Yes/No

Window4U (IL)

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windowrep,
Hey, I'm completely innocent! I was just asking a question of the "guys" because I was so tired I coudn't see straight when I was reading the specs.
FenEx is the real trouble-maker doing all the slamming, not me. <ducking>

FenEx

#8 Post by FenEx »

You may want to search EBAY for a backbone auction.

windowrep

#9 Post by windowrep »

fenex, i do sell these windows in the northern ohio market. and we also have offices in chicago so they probably are a competing window.
misinformation regarding spiral balances. i used to have plenty of spiral balance tools to do service calls and had a bad taste with them in the 80's and 90's, they were called caldwell balances, that were filled with grease which lubricated the spiral and kept it from rubbing on the tube. these spiral balances are totally different, there is no grease and they do not need lubricated, there is a mylar sleeve that keeps the spiral off the tube.
no swiggle seal, it is the duraseal spacer. the extrusions are from dayton technologies so you can take up the "poor" extrusion with them. they use a hard coat low-e coating therefore you would not need to edge delete. the aluminum h- beam does not contact the vinyl inside the sash that is exposed to the weather, therefore forming a thermal break and no conduction of heat and cold. no need to melt corners together when you mortise and tenor metal and wood reinforcements under the vinyl.
to make it very simple, if we had a ton of service calls and we manufacture our own windows wouldn't it be cost effective to change it?
no need to turn this into a battle i respect both you and w4u for your window knowledge and desire to change a sometimes cloudy industry. the r-15 quote is totally wrong and hopefully a mis quote. our doors are r-15 so i hope it was a miscommunication. however i will send an e-mail to corporate to insure that every salesperson knows the correct numbers. like most on this sight i want to walk into people houses and help them correct their window problems. thanks fen

epc

Better windows?

#10 Post by epc »

Well, all the features listed on the website are the sales pitch that the reps agresively show in the in home demonstrations. of course for the regular person, this sounds AMAZING !!!

so what characteristics should we look in a well design window ?

also, thinking about this windowrep, there is a lifetime warranty on these windows right ?

Window4U (IL)

Re: Reply

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

FenEx wrote:You may want to search EBAY for a backbone auction.
C'mon Fex, you know I was joking. I was ducking after all.

windowrep

#12 Post by windowrep »

epc,
of course there is a lifetime warranty. 20 year non pro rated and 50% parts after that. the warranty is fully transferrable and includes accidental glass breakage. look at a few different windows and judge for yourself. remember, if contractors or dealers can't buy the windows then unfortunately some people will look down on them.

windowmann2000

#13 Post by windowmann2000 »

epc, at $550 per I'd do a little more shopping. First, if indeed the rep quoted you an R-15 window his creditability is shot. In as far as is it a good window...........nope, and has all the signs of the cheapest of everything. You could build this window in your garage. Duraseal is the new Swiggle and primarily used in small facilities. It's better than aluminum and much improved over the old Swiggle but not your best choice.
windowrep, the fact that dayton makes the extrusion means nothing. They will make anything for anybody, from the top to the bottom in quality.
epc, why settle for hard coat low-e when most of the industry will give you soft coat, which is clearly better. Next you'll have to show a lot of test data before any respectable dealer will sell a spiral balance again.
In brief this window has nothing going for it but a lot of bs from the salespeople. At the prices you were quoted you can easily get a much better window with better components that will perform in the long run.

windowrep

#14 Post by windowrep »

like i said contractors do not like the companies that make and install their own products. whats wrong no chance for a contractor to jack up the price? i am sorry i forgot whatever window you guys sell is the way to go. that is why this board has gone from good information to marketing tool. later

windowmann2000

#15 Post by windowmann2000 »

windowrep, in as far as small local co's go, there are many that market and sell their own that represent a very good value. In fact one is in your area-Gilkey. They make a product far superior to the airtite window at a comparable price.
Jacking up the price...............look in the mirror, the airtite window should be priced much, much lower and represents a poor value at the figures mentioned earlier in this thread.
I gain nothing and receive nothing for posting here and believe you probably have a bias based on the lack of favorable comments about the airtite window. The reason this site is so popular is because there are so many pro's that visit here and keep the public informed about what represents a better value for them, which the airtite window doesn't.