Stymied... Why is my window quote $10K more than yours?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
StickerShock

Stymied... Why is my window quote $10K more than yours?

#1 Post by StickerShock »

Hi All,

First off, I've gained a tremendous amount of information from this message board... thanks for the education.

I'm planning on completely replacing 14 windows and 3 sliding doors. I've had a number of contractors through the house to take measurements and give me a bid. So far, I've recieved bids for the following windows/doors:

Simonton Prism Platinum: $25,500
Wellington Windows: $26,100
Marvin Replacement Windows: $26,200

I'm asking for custom window sizes, but [b]$1625 per hole [/b]seems crazy ($26K/16), especially after reading posts like this...

[quote]"I got a quote for 20 (18 double, 2 slider) Shuco Corona 4000 Tripple/Krypton windows for $10K installed ($500 per windows). Four of the winodws will have grids This includes installation, wrap with white Alcoa aluminum trim coil, Caulk with 100% silicone, brickmoulding wrapping, haul old windows etc. With lifetime warranty on windows and labor."[/quote]

The Shuco guy is going to return with a bid later this week; I really like his windows but can't stomach another $25K bid.

Window details are below. Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong?

Casement, Low E, Argon in the following sizes:

115"w x 66"h - fixed center with 24-28" flankers - qty. 1
27"w x 66"h - single casement - qty. 1
48"w x 39"h - twin casement - qty. 1
52"w x 67"h - twin casement - qty. 3
44"w x 67"h - twin casement - qty. 3
87"w x 50"h - fixed center with 29" flankers - qty. 1
59"w x 50"h - twin casement - qty. 1
42"w x 46"h - single casement - qty. 2
72"w x 80"h - sliding glass door - qty. 3

Do the twin casements count at 2 holes and fixed center with flankers count as 3? Is that where I've gone wrong?

Windowman PA

whats your location?

#2 Post by Windowman PA »

City will be fine!

StickerShock

#3 Post by StickerShock »

Minneapolis, thanks!

WindDoze

#4 Post by WindDoze »

StickerShock

You have casement windows and 3 patio doors. The multi unit windows are like 2 or even 3 units -- so it's unfair to compare your job to the customer who is looking at $500 per hole. Based on your measurements -- you have a very large job. The quotes you've gotten seem reasonable and I would suspect your Schuco quote to also be in the $22-25K range.

Maybe you should break the job into phases and do a portion now.

researcher

#5 Post by researcher »

WindDoze wrote:StickerShock

You have casement windows and 3 patio doors. The multi unit windows are like 2 or even 3 units -- so it's unfair to compare your job to the customer who is looking at $500 per hole. Based on your measurements -- you have a very large job. The quotes you've gotten seem reasonable and I would suspect your Schuco quote to also be in the $22-25K range.

Maybe you should break the job into phases and do a portion now.
How the windows are counted vary sometimes. For instance, Renewal by Andersen said i had 14 windows, where as Schuco said i had 26 windows. (They are all casements, some single, some double, and some with a casement on both sides of a dead light). The quote i got from Renewal was $14,134, so that is a little over $1000 per. window according to Renewal's count. But according to Schuco's count, it is $534 per. window.

StickerShock

#6 Post by StickerShock »

Thanks for the replies so far... very helpful.

I was suprised to find out that casement windows are that much more expensive that double-hung or sliders.

Thanks too, researcher, for information about hole counting.

Still interested in other's thoughts... keep the replies coming.

Thanks!

FiberglassWindows

Why buy VINYL when you can get Fiberglass Windows

#7 Post by FiberglassWindows »

Fiberglass windows have options like Real oak or Maple on the inside of the Windows (stainable) or ANY COLOR Inside and out.

Guy

#8 Post by Guy »

First off Fiberglasswindows (or Josh) you need to read the rules and regulations of the site. This is not a place to sell your product or pitch your company. It's a site where consumers or professionals come to seek information. There are a couple people who post here from MN, so please don't use this as a marketing tool.

StickerShock, you'll see a comparable quote for the Schuco windows, but your getting a much better window with the Schuco. I'm sure it was easy to form that opinion after seeing the different windows. There are a lot more window suppliers in MN that handle good vinyl windows. There are also a lot of crooks that you need to keep an eye out for. Before you sign any contract make sure and study up on the company's your looking at. You should check the BBB and get references from your candidates. You can also talk to friends, neighbors and relatives to find out if any of them had work done recently and who they used. I know there are other companies out there who can come close to shaving 10K off that price and give you a great product. Good Luck in your searching!!!

FiberglassWindows

Schuco.... VS ANY FIBERGLASS WINDOW

#9 Post by FiberglassWindows »

I have sold schuco since 1997 or early 1998. Schuco isn't that great of a window. I don't know why ths site makes it sound so great. Schuco has a good glass seal unit. There frames are no better then any other vinyl window out there. Their Sliding windows freeze up and the inline track fills with water. I would be happy to send pictures to anyone who doesn't believe. If you really the sold on a Inferior product like vinyl, great lakes uniframe is MUCH MUCH better. At least the frames are reinforced with fiberglass, which doesn't expand and contract or conducts heat or cold like steel or aluminum. Fiberglass windows are the future and anyone on this site that doesn't see that, need to do there own research. There much more stable, and for the people making comments about fiberglass having a smell... BS.... Consumer reports states FIBERGLASS Doors are the best. EVERYONE sells a fiberglass door. Even Vinyl window companies sell fiberglass doors and sell them as the best. JUST BECAUSE FEW OF THE VINLY COMPANIES CAN GET FIBERGLASS WINDOWS, DONT TRY TO MAKE THEM SOUND INFERIOR. DONT SEE TO MANY VINYL BOAT OUT THERE. PULTRUDED FIBERGLASS EXPANDS AND CONTRACT 800% LESS THEN VINYL AND IS 400-500% STRONGER. WWW.FIBERGLASSWINDOWS.COM. READ UP...If your going to do a vinyl window, and you want a LOW U Value, just order alside which you could get done for 10,000 less then schuco. I sell fiberglass windows and 30-35% of all sales are REPLACING REPLACEMENT VINYL WINDOWS. I have even taken SCHUCO's out of houses that have only had them for 3-4 years..... NEED MORE PROOF?

Window_Guy

#10 Post by Window_Guy »

NEED MORE PROOF?
Yeah, like a lot more. I don't sell Schuco, never have probably never will but there is no way on god's green earth someone outfitted their home with Schuco and then had to pull them in 4 years.

If you want to have an intelligent conversation about fiberglass I’m all for it and I’m sure the administrators and visitors here are all for it to.

However, after a ridiculous statement like that your credibility is absolutely TOAST!

Window_Guy

FiberglassWindows

Im not here to argue... just facts...

#11 Post by FiberglassWindows »

In minnesota, where it is very cold, schuco has had many problems. Creditability is everything... Here are some facts for you. Michael treckaval (ceo of Schuco usa-atleast until 2002) states....
SCHUCO INLINE SLIDERS WERE DEVELOPED FOR THE SOUTHERN PARTS OF THE USA AND NOT MADE FOR THE NORTHERN CLIMATES. The windows are so good, that the company that started selling them in 1997 in minneapolis (seal guard Systems) was kicked out of the BBB from 99-2002 for NO TAKING CARE OF ALL THERE SERVICES in a timely manner. Problem being.... Schuco windows freezing up and the tracks filling with water. That company actually went to court with a customer in 2004 and lost completely and was ordered a full refund on there NON-FUCTIONAL ICY schuco windows. Schuco windows were replaced 3.6 years after install. I also have 6 other customers that have done somewhere between a few schuco windows and a whole house of schuco windows and we have been asked to replace them. In addition.. I also have over 40 pictures of ice and water all over schuco triple pane, 2 lowe. kryton gas vinyl windows. If you want to see proof, just ask me or any schuco dealer. DONT kid yourself... schuco in europe is aluminum and not vinyl. schuco bought out a company called homecraft in 97 and pretty much is selling the same window that homecraft sold(and went under) with different glass.
GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT.... MOST SCHUCO DEALERS HAVE LEFT SCHUCO AND GONE TO FIBERGLASS ... I can list those if you would like to :O)

Window_Guy

#12 Post by Window_Guy »

I'm sorry but what you’re saying is categorically untrue. There will always be an argument to be made regarding the return one might get on the expense of the Schuco product line but no one, and I mean no one who has an understanding of windows, would ever argue the quality of it.

Where exactly are you getting this information that you’re regurgitating?

Window_Guy

Guy

#13 Post by Guy »

FiberglassWindows, I don't know what your smoking but I think you need to spend some time researching your facts. I won't even comment on what you stated because I know FeneX will blow through the roof and give you the facts your lacking. If you think Sealguard Systems wasn't at fault on their services, your dead wrong. I personally fixed about a dozen of their poor installations during that time when customers wouldn't allow them back on their property. Their installers were horrible to say the least. Comments like that do nothing but make the people coming here feel more mixed up than ever. Your the perfect example of why our industry lacks trust and honor. False accusations are bad press for you and the company you represent. I'll definitely make sure I steer clear of you and your company. I'll also warn the rest of the industry here in MN. WOW

earwax

#14 Post by earwax »

I don't know if it is just me, or did we have this thread about a day ago, wait, it is still going.

If you like fiberglass, simply state why. If you like vinyl, state why. It always seems like people in fiberglass use the contraction and expansion of vinyl and the vinyl people talk about the smell of fiberglass. Both are pretty rediculous.

Poeple view this thread from all over the country. I can tell you, a fiberglass window in california is overkill if your using the energy ratings. IN minn, might be a factor. Hmmmm. Fiberglass. :roll:

WindDoze

Re: Im not here to argue... just facts...

#15 Post by WindDoze »

FiberglassWindows wrote:In minnesota, where it is very cold, schuco has had many problems.... The windows are so good, that the company that started selling them in 1997 in minneapolis (seal guard Systems) was kicked out of the BBB from 99-2002 for NO TAKING CARE OF ALL THERE SERVICES in a timely manner.
This is a direct reflection on the installation company, not Schuco. Any window if not installed properly will not perform.