Shower window question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Venomboy

Shower window question

#1 Post by Venomboy »

Eventually I will remodel all the bathrooms in my house. One bathroom has a tub with shower and a small window set into the shower wall. It is an aluminum dual pane window, original to the house (about 11 years old). The current window has some mold in the window sill and some mold on the screen.

Is there any brand/type of window that are best suited for showers? I would like to replace this window simply because it's gross. Should I replace it retrofit style or new construction style? Should I replace the window before I retile the tub/shower?

Is the best maintenance for shower windows simply drying it after every use and hoping for the best?

Thanks!

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Venomboy, Make sure you use a vinyl window in this area. I usually recommend an "Awning Style Window". THis seems to vent well and can be left open without any worries of rain. You will also want to get the jamb extensions made out of Mellamean (Spelling is probably wrong but sounds right). This is an all fiber board that is water resistant. I usually use the all white in this case. Then foam can insulate all around making a good water barrier. Then you can trim it with vinyl casing or run your water board over the jambs and seal it up. Make sure your bathroom has a proper ventilation fan installed to remove moisture while showering or bathing. Keep the shower curtain or door open until walls can dry and moisture disapates. Keeping the window cracked also lets moisture out better. The best way is to slightly open the window and turn on the fan. This will prevent any mold issues. Good Luck!!

Venomboy

#3 Post by Venomboy »

Thanks for the reply! What is a jamb extension?

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

The jamb extension is the part your inside trim is nailed to. The standard vinyl window is only 3.25 inches thick. On a new construction application an inch of it sticks out of the wall to the exterior side. So that leaves 2.23 inches to the inside. Most walls today are at least 6.50 inches thick. So you need something to fill that void. They are called jamb extensions. You can usually get them with the window. Most manufacturers have them to match your window. They also have what we call a "Jamb Receptor". This is a "U" shaped channel that is snapped into the inside groove on your window. You nail the extension jambs together making a box. You then slide it right into the receptor. This gives you a nice clean transition where they meet together. No ugly gaps or voids. It's also great four walls that are out of plumb or uneven. You can move the box in or out to make any corrections. Hope this explained it enough. I forget most people don't know what they are. Sorry about that.

Guy

Venomboy

#5 Post by Venomboy »

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I can visualize it. When it comes time to replace that window I'll post pics to make sure it's being done correctly.