Inside condensation

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
markbb

Inside condensation

#1 Post by markbb »

I just got new windows a few days ago and this morning after a cold night on two of the windows I have condinsation on the inside along the bottom edge of the windows. These are crank or casements windows. This is why I got new windows. Please advise. I just read the post where the guy had condinsation on the outside of his wondows and someone wrote that inside condinsation may be caused by storing and installing windows during the cold, this was not the case.

I'm certain that the windows were installed correctly, should I call the manufacturer?

Thanks...

researcher

#2 Post by researcher »

How cold did it get?

markbb

#3 Post by markbb »

not too cold high 30'ss

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

Your condensation may still be caused by the same phenomenon as my other post on exterior condensation. In either case it has to do with the amount of water saturation in the air, the Relative Humidity (RH). Since we know colder air can not carry as much water as warm air. We know the inside of your home has the ability to be much warmer on the inside during the colder evenings. Since it's getting towards the fall season most of us cold climate Polar Bear type try and keep that furnace off until we have to flip the switch, or our wives threaten us with some type of bodily harm. So we generally just close the windows and the house stays warm inside without the furnace. If the furnace was on and warm air was flowing throughout the house you may have never seen any moisture build up.

Moisture is present in all homes, but when it becomes excessive, homeowners need to be aware of what is happening. Condensation is water that forms when warm, moist air hits a cooler surface. In homes, it might occur on surfaces such as windows, bathroom walls and cold-water pipes. When interior humidity levels are too high relative to cooler outdoor temperatures, condensation can form on the coldest surface in a room, often the glass in a window or door. While windows and doors do not cause condensation, they may be one of the first places it shows up. Excess humidity is typically the cause of condensation. There are many sources for moisture in a home: showers, dishwashers, clothes washers and dryers, house plants, humans, pets and even the Mother In Law yelling at you because there's moisture on the new windows. In newly built homes, additional moisture may escape from building materials such as lumber, plaster and masonry for up to three heating seasons, even with proper airflow and temperature management. So be happy your not in that situation with new windows!!

If you cover a Low E/Argon gas unit with some type of window treatment like a blind, shade or shutter. the center-of-glass temperature drops from about 57° to only 36° (just throwing out fabricated starting temps). That's an amazing 21° drop. Since the center of the glass will change most dramatically. The edges probably drop 5-15° as well. Even a couch or desk in front of a window will significantly reduce the glass temperature if the furniture is partially blocking part of the window. Condensation or even the dreaded ice, can NOT occur unless two conditions are present at the same time, high humidity and cold temperatures. The cold temperatures on your windows could be due in part to concealed damage, missing or defective weatherstrip, poor-fitting windows, faulty installation, or just because of the traumatic change in your glass. In your case we know they are new windows so most of these options are out. If you have cold weather but low humidity, condensation can not occur. Both have to be there. If you're experiencing moisture or ice buildup on your windows, you have too much humidity given the current inside temperature. Assuming that the windows are properly installed and not defective in some way. There are TWO basic solutions: raise the glass temperature or lower the humidity.

In your case it may be the opposite effect from the storage of the windows. They were probably stored in a really hot warehouse before installation. So after the installation the cool outside was probably dryer than the inside air that has all the moisture from every day activities. Since the glass was working hard to keep the cold air out, it couldn't quite remedy the traumatic change, it tried it's best to function though.

I would recommend you let them acclimate to their surroundings for a month or so and then monitor your inside humidity levels. I tell my customers to keep the inside levels around 40%. If you take to much out then you get the dry cracking lips or dried out sinuses. It also dries out the old wood furniture which will then start cracking. If it persists or even starts to ice up, then the installation may have some issues or the window itself may be faulty. In either case please be patient with your supplier, as we find it much easier to work with those who aren't yelling at us. Mishaps occur anywhere, they are also easily remedied if everyone stays calm. If they don't respond to the nice guy, then get out the whipping stick and adjust some attitude!

markbb

#5 Post by markbb »

Thanks for your respone Guy.

I'm not so sure about this window due to the fact that the condensation was at the bottom of the window where most liely air would come in. i will have to see if it happens again but I have a feeling it will.