Potential installation problem

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bw

Potential installation problem

#1 Post by bw »

I have two windows A and B. The opening for window A is 38 ¼ in by 53in. and the opening for window B is 40in by 54in. These windows were each measured by my contractor for vinyl replacements.

I had these two windows installed while I was at work and therefore was unable to inspect the windows until after the contractor had completed the job and left.

Window A appeared to fit perfectly and the window frame was in perfect condition. Window B however, the contractor applied additional wood molding (approx ¼ in.) within the window frame, on the top and sides. Additionally, the window frame (wood) had a significant number of cuts in it. I was not too concerned at first about the window frame since I was having a painter in to do some painting and spackling.

After further investigation of the windows I noticed the manufacturer sticker on the frames contained the measurements. Both windows had the same measurements; 40in by 54in. Although the openings were 38 ¼ by 53 and 40 by 54. The 40 by 54 is the window with the additional molding and has the beat up window frame. Both windows appear to have been sealed well. I cannot detect any air leakage (although it is not winter yet).

My question is simple. Although either the contractor did not order the correct sized window or the manufacturer did not fill the order correctly, should I have any concern given that the only problem that I can notice is that one window has additional molding added to the inside window frame? Or as a naïve homeowner, am I overlooking something else?

I did call the contractor the day after the installation about the additional molding added to one of the windows. He gave me an excuse, which I cannot remember anymore. I hadn’t noticed the sizing difference until a couple of days later.

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

bw, a lot of times installers make the evil assumption that two windows close in measurement are really the same. Then the find later they are not. Obviously yours weren't. So he made field modifacations to make it fit. More than likely there are no problems with the window itself. I would ask him to come back and trim them out the same though. Any good installer will at least trim them out so they are not obviously different in appearance. We do all we can to make them similar and match in every way. The only time we can't is when they are different styles of windows. Hope it works out for you.

Guy

E-Z

#3 Post by E-Z »

I agree with Guy. In that he should have trim both windows the same.... get him back to your house to trim the other one out.
He should be jumpin of joy that you are not asking him to re order the window( which at this point your opening has been altered anyways so the old size would fit loose).

E-z
E-z
E-z Windows