Weathershield Custom Shield v. Marvin or Andersen

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
cojo47

Weathershield Custom Shield v. Marvin or Andersen

#1 Post by cojo47 »

Can anyone comment on the quality and durability of Weathershield double hung windows? How do they compare with Marvin or Andersen?

We are considering replacing about 20 windows in a 70 year old brick house in Washington DC, and for esthetic purposes are now considering (aluminum clad) wood windows instead of vinyl. In vinyl, for comparison, and as a price reference point, we have been impressed thus far with the Simonton 5500 (or 9800), the Kensington Huntington, and the Schuco Corona.

A local dealer recently impressed us with the Weathershield Custom Shield, whose slender wood frame seems well suited to the house, but about which we have been able to find very little information. Even the NFRC site gives only partial specifications (e.g., no numbers for SHGC or VT). We would greatly appreciate feedback from knowledgeable window experts on this site. Thanks!

JScott

#2 Post by JScott »

Size dependant, Eagle, Lincoln and then Marvin have the best standard DP ratings(in that order for double hungs) which you should consider in your DC climate (at a 3234 glass the Marvin DP drops below 40 while the Lincoln remains). I am not sure of the DP rating for weathershield but I believe they are less than 40. Andersen DP ratings are below the brands mentioned above. I hope this helps.

cojo47

#3 Post by cojo47 »

Thanks JScott. That also alerts me to a potential issue with Andersen.

Judging from the number of views but only one response to my question, is it safe to conclude that few people have experience with Weathershield windows? What does that imply? Am I better off staying away from Weathershield?

By the way, please tell me, what do you mean by "3234 glass ...?"

Thanks for any further opinions!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I deal with Weathershield all the time in the western suburbs of Chicagoland. I don't install them though.......I replace them.

cojo47

#5 Post by cojo47 »

LOL! Thanks Window4U for your wonderful economy of words. :lol:

So may I ask what folks recommend for a quality (aluminum or vinyl) clad double hung wooden window? For a 1930's brick house in Washington DC (i.e., a mixed, but primarily heating, climate). Thanks!