Meeting with installer about aluminum wrap / capping

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
pokeysmom

Meeting with installer about aluminum wrap / capping

#1 Post by pokeysmom »

We recently had vinyl windows put in with the brickmold aluminum wrapped. We love the windows and are happy with the installation but are concerned about the wrap job. It looks OK for the most part except for the edge along the siding. The aluminum wrap isn't tight to the wood and is move easily in some areas, it is only attached by a few nails and caulked where the aluminum meets the window. My question is this, should the aluminum be caulked to the siding? If so, should just the top and sides be caulked to allow for any possible water to run out? What about the joints? Please help me I am meeting with the installer tomorrow.

PK

#2 Post by PK »

The wrapping should be nailed so that it is firmly attached but not so tight that it could oil can. Where the trim wrap meets the siding there are two ways which i handle it. 1 way is to use a saw to cut a groove between the brickmould and the siding to slip the coil into, I then caulk where the sidng meets the coil. The other way i do it is to bend a 3/4" lip on the coil so that it meets with the highest point of the sidng. In this case i run a bead of sealant on the side of the brickmould and set the coil onto it. Hope that helps
PK

pokeysmom

#3 Post by pokeysmom »

Thank you for your response. It sounds like the wrap should definitely be caulked, is that right? If so should it just be top, sides and joints?

PK

#4 Post by PK »

It all depends on the way it is installed. Wrapping should be applied with the least amount of sealant possible required to ensure that water doesnt get behind it. I normally caulk the tops and sides where wrapping meets the siding. where the bottom of the sill meets the siding i usually leave un sealed. where the face of the capping meets the surface of the sill a poor trim job will have globs of caullking here, on my work the sill has tabs that run up under the sides so there is no visible sealant there.
PK