Vinyl Replacement windows prices sanity check

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
IneedWindows

Vinyl Replacement windows prices sanity check

#1 Post by IneedWindows »

I got a quote for Alside Sheffield windows and 6100 patio doors for $23K and change. Is this a fair price for Gaithersburg, MD? Renewal by Andersen, which is supposed to be overpriced came in only at $5K more. Here is what I'm getting.

5@30"x65" Oriel dh tempered, 3 with grids
2@18"x65" Oriel dh tempered
1@46"x65" Picture tempered
2@9'x80" 3 panel Sliding door
3@3'x80" Picture tempered
1@30"x37" dh
11@30"x61" dh, 4 with grids

I'm going to get Schuco quotes next week. Should I expect even higher prices?
Last edited by IneedWindows on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windowman PA

Schuco windows!

#2 Post by Windowman PA »

Should be around Alside Sheffield price :D

IneedWindows

Re: Schuco windows!

#3 Post by IneedWindows »

Windowman PA wrote:Should be around Alside Sheffield price :D
Windowman PA,

So I guess that quote is too high for Sheffields?

Windowman PA

A BIG yes!

#4 Post by Windowman PA »

You can get a better window with more options!!! :D

IneedWindows

Re: A BIG yes!

#5 Post by IneedWindows »

Windowman PA wrote:You can get a better window with more options!!! :D

Windowman PA

I just got a quote for Schuco at $29K and change. :shock: That's about 1K more than Andersen, previously the highest quote. We I asked about how Schuco prices compared to Renewal, he said they are generally the same or a little higher. He was right on since I did not tell him what I got from Andersen.

Since you seem to think I should be able to get Schuco's for the same price as Sheffields, do you know who in my area that can?

My original quote for the Sheffields were for double glazed, double low-e, argon, and SST spacers. Not really comparing apples-to-apples when comparing that to Schuco Corona 4000 which are triple glazed and krypton filled. I'm going to see what the Sheffield price come to if I upgrade them to triple glazed and krypton.

Also, from this board and other sources on the internet, there seem to be a lot of doubt regarding the quality of Schuco's customer service. Any company can have the best product in the universe but if they aren't going to honor their warranty, they are completely worthless IMHO.

windowmann2000

#6 Post by windowmann2000 »

You lucky guy, that's a ton of windows. I see your quote from Sheffield includes tempered glass. It would lower the price quite a bit if you knocked that off, and double strength glass is pretty durable. The Sheffield is not available with SS and krypton, but if you can find a dealer that sells their 8000 (an upgraded Sheffield) they would have it.
Because of the size of your order you should be able to negotiate a better price. Here in Wisconsin our quote for Sheffields with triple and argon fill for your windows would be closer to $15,000 for white windows and normal installation and that's a before dickering price. Good luck with your shopping.

Windowman PA

Make a CALL!

#7 Post by Windowman PA »

If you want Schuco windows Call your local Schuco dealer and tell him you have 23K to spend and make it WORK! :D

I would bet they will take a second look at your job! :D

On Schuco service please keep in mind they are over 50 years in business, you dont do that without good products and service after the SALE!!!!

Wds83

#8 Post by Wds83 »

My price would be around $17,000 for Sheffield Windows with Clima Tech (Triple Glazed) LowE on two surfaces/Argon, Foam Filled,Aluminum Screens..The Doors would have ClimaTech" Plus (Super Spacer, LowE on one surface/Argon with a Brass Keylock... Why are you getting tempered glass on the Double Hung's?

IneedWindows

Re: Make a CALL!

#9 Post by IneedWindows »

Windowman PA wrote:If you want Schuco windows Call your local Schuco dealer and tell him you have 23K to spend and make it WORK! :D
Interestingly, I called Schuco directly to ask for an authorized dealer in my area. I was given the one in Beltsville, MD, who quoted me 29K. After scanning through the postings on this board, I found there was another dealer in Clarksburg. Unless the guy misquoted me, this dealer quoted me 19K. I hope this isn't a mistake. Anyway, we'll be going over the details on Tuesday.

As for Schuco windows. There is so much hype on this board about them, I was a little skeptical so I had to go see them for myself. Now I never liked the look of vinyl windows but since my main concern was warmth, vinyl is my best option. After seeing Schuco, what stands out is they don't look like vinyl windows. :) They look more like Renewals, which undeniably are great looking windows (too bad that's the only thing great about them). Pretty easy choice for me if the 19K quote isn't a mistake.

Just so that this doesn't sound like another commercial for Schuco, I am not in the window business and I'm not affiliated with Schuco in any way.

IneedWindows

#10 Post by IneedWindows »

Wds83 wrote:Why are you getting tempered glass on the Double Hung's?
1) It's code, the windows are less than 18" off the floor. and 2) I have a 4 year old and a 14 month old and I just don't want to take any chances.

IneedWindows

Sheffield quote

#11 Post by IneedWindows »

BTW, the original guy quoted me $24.5K for the upgraded Sheffields with triple pane and krypton. I got a $14K quote from another guy supposedly for the same windows. Talked to the first guy about that and he said that has to be wrong because that'll be under his cost. Not sure what's going on there.

Since this guy came highly recommended to me by three of my neighbors, who he'll get additional work from, he knows he'll be screwing himself over more than he would be screwing me for. Seems like a smart enough guy so I really doubt that he is trying to screw me. Perhaps his Alside rep is screwing him. Replacement windows is such an interesting business.

cojo47

#12 Post by cojo47 »

We too are shopping for windows in the DC area, and we have not been enamored with the Schuco dealer we found in Beltsville.

Re the appearance of vinyl windows - which is of great concern to us - you might want to take a look at the Sunrise Restorations. I have seen postings from at least one of the experienced installers on this site who carries both the Restorations and the Schuco, and he regards both highly. The Restorations dealer for the metro DC area is in Lorton, VA; we have spoken with him and have been favorably impressed both with the product and with the person.

Re appearance, you might also consider the Marvin Infinity which is fiberglass, and which looks very much like a traditional window; it has sleek, clean lines with sashes that are more slender than the vinyl windows we have seen. We think it's very attractive, but that, of course, is subjective. The Infinity also gets very good reviews on this forum, better, I believe, than the Renewal by Andersen, though I don't think these fiberglass windows eek out the same degree of energy efficiency as the top of the line vinyl windows. The warrany is also shorter than vinyl. On the other hand, when is good enough good enough? Unless you have a noise problem, I'm not sure you need a triple pane window in Gaithersburg, MD ....

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

IneedWindows wrote:
Wds83 wrote:Why are you getting tempered glass on the Double Hung's?
1) It's code, the windows are less than 18" off the floor. and 2) I have a 4 year old and a 14 month old and I just don't want to take any chances.
Code....

Tempered or laminated glass must be used in the following locations:

Glazing in all doors.

Glazing in doors and enclosures for hot tubs, whirlpools, saunas, steam rooms, bathtubs and showers. Glazing in any portion of a building wall enclosing these compartments where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60 inches above a standing surface and drain inlet.

Glazing adjacent to a door where the nearest exposed edge of the glazing is within a 24- inch arc of either vertical edge of the door in a closed position and where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60- inches above the walking surface.

EXCEPTION: Tempered is not required when there is an intervening wall or other permanent barrier located between the door and the glazing.

Glazing in fixed or operable panels, other than those locations described in items 2 and 3 above, that meets all of the following conditions:

Exposed area of an individual pane greater than 9 square feet.
Exposed bottom edge less than 18 inches above the floor.
Exposed top edge greater than 36 inches above the floor.
One or more walking surfaces within 36 inches horizontally of the plane of the glazing.

EXCEPTION: Tempered is not required when a protective bar is installed on the accessible sides of the glazing 34 inches to 38 inches above the floor. The bar shall be capable of withstanding a horizontal load of 50 pounds per linear foot without contacting the glass and be a minimum of 1-1/2 inches in height.

Glazing in any hand railing regardless of height above a walking surface.

Glazing in walls and fences used as the barrier for indoor and outdoor swimming pools and spas when all of the following conditions are present:

The bottom edge of the glazing is less than 60 inches above the pool side of the glazing.
The glazing is within 5 feet of a swimming pool or spa deck area.

Glazing in walls enclosing stairway landings or within 5 feet of the bottom and top of stairways where the bottom edge of the glass is less than 60 inches above a walking surface.

If you feel more comfortable because of your infant, by all means proceed with the tempered option, however, it is not required.

FenEx

#14 Post by FenEx »

"If you feel more comfortable because of your infant, by all means proceed with the tempered option, however, it is not required."

This is poor advice. The aforementioned code information is from the 1994 UBC (Uniform Building Code) as does not necessarily apply to where you live. Your local building codes are the final authority and many are more stringent than the UBC. Check with your local municipality.

Windows on Washington

Re: reply

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

FenEx wrote:"If you feel more comfortable because of your infant, by all means proceed with the tempered option, however, it is not required."

This is poor advice. The aforementioned code information is from the 1994 UBC (Uniform Building Code) as does not necessarily apply to where you live. Your local building codes are the final authority and many are more stringent than the UBC. Check with your local municipality.
Borrowed from Glazing Codes.org

Q. Are there safety glass requirements from the outside ground, such as a basement window?
A. Local codes govern the requirements for safety glazing. Model building codes like the International Building Code frequently form the basis for local regulations and are generally viewed as establishing a "standard of care". On the basis of the International Building Code (IBC) the glass would probably not have to be safety glazing. According to the IBC, the basement window would require safety glass only if all four following conditions are met:
1. Glass is greater than 9 sq ft in area.
2. Bottom edge of glass is less than 18 inches above the floor (walking surface).
3. Top edge of glass is more than 36 inches above the floor (walking surface).
4. And there is a walkway within 36 inches (horizontally) of the glass.

Also, Montogomery County, according to the representative that I spoke to, does not require any additional criteria not addressed in the IBC regarding tempered glass.