How to fix woodclad vinyl windows to framing?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jlockley

How to fix woodclad vinyl windows to framing?

#1 Post by jlockley »

This is my curiosity really. The replacement window won't have a fin, or we will need to remove siding. This is possible but not ideal. Do we?

It is essentially, unless I have looked wrong, a wood frame. How is this intended to be fixed to the opening? With studs through the wood? As I mentioned in a previous piece, there is so far no help to be had from Milgard. I was going to buy plain vinyl, but these were very attractive, so I changed my mind at the last minute. They were also twice the price. (special order). I am sure there are better choices out there, but I suspect I need to stay with this product.

tru_blue

?

#2 Post by tru_blue »

I don't understand the question.

"The replacement window won't have a fin." It won't? Why not; do you want it to have a fin?

"We will need to remove siding." I'm not sure why you world need to do this, especially if it doesn't have a fin. And even if it did have a fin it normally still wouldn't be necessary.

"It is . . . a wood frame." What is, the existing window or the new window, or maybe the window opening? It isn't clad?

"With studs through the wood?" I don't know what this means; I think you're possibly confusing terminology and using the wrong words to communicate what you're looking for.

PK

#3 Post by PK »

TRU, apparently you missed the Type F installation in the AAMA manual, vinyl replacement window, aluminum clad with a wooden nailing fin, installed with studs through the wood and properly flashed with duct tape (brown packaging tape may be substituted) oh yea and the nailing fin goes right over the siding creating a semi-integral J-Channel!!! Aluminum tin foil trim wrap optional (can be painted if silver color is not desireable.)
PK