Is there a site like this for doors?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Dallas Burgher

Is there a site like this for doors?

#1 Post by Dallas Burgher »

I mean entry and patio doors. This site has been so helpful I was hoping to get more of the same type of advice on doors.

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Most of us that install windows also install doors. Personally I have more knowledge on doors than I do windows. I'd think you could ask your door question here and someone should be able to answer it.

Dallas Burgher

Fiberglass entry doors.

#3 Post by Dallas Burgher »

I have a north facing front door that needs to be replaced. Is it possible for me to get a fiberglass or wood door and have someone put in glass from ODL to my specs and get a trilennium lock? It seems to me that there is not much flexibility on design unless I go to a custom maker.

windowguru

#4 Post by windowguru »

I know it is possible to get a fiberglass door (from therma tru .. my experience) to get ODL glass package and put them together.

I don't know the lock but I would check with your local door supplier and have them talk to their reps

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

Getting a fiberglass door and having someone else install your custom light (glass) into it may become a difficult chore. First of all you need to know what model & size light kit you'll be getting. Then you'll need to purchase the right door to accept your light kit. There are certain made doors to accept different sized window glass. You can't just go out and by a six panel door and cut an oval or arched top light kit into it. The only safe way would be by ordering a flush door, you can cut anything into a flush door. If your getting a standard sized 1/2 or full glass window installed, you may be able to order the door pre-cut from the factory.

The Trilennium™ Multi-Point Lock your looking at is only used by one door manufacturer that I know of here. Precision Entry Doors (and Sugar Creek storm doors) is the only company I know of that has that Trilennium™ mortise lock already applied to their special order door. You may want to see if you can find a local distributor to check them out. I know you can get different types of glass styles from them that may be what you want. Most suppliers have specialty glass you can get for their doors. I happen to be very fortunate to have a local supplier of specialty door lights across the highway from me. So I have the ability to get the non-stock glass from them. The door manufacturer I use here will make anything I want them to. I'm sure you can find a local manufacturer to help you out in what you need. If not you'll have to find a good installer that will cut the door light in for you before they set the door. Hopefully you can find someone to do it for you locally. As for finding someone to cut the new door edge out for the Trilennium™ lock set, you may be in a world of hurt there. Your best bet would be going to your local commercial wood door supplier to have them cut the door for you. They are used to prepping doors for odd hardware and custom glass all the time.

I would highly recommend finding a local distributor of Precision Entry Doors to get the door from. Their doors cost a bit more but you'll at least be able to get most, if not all your needs met through them. You can also get your door painted by them also. They'll pre-finish your door with two different colors if you desire. They've done a great job on the doors I've seen from them. Hope this helps you along and good luck!!!

windowmann2000

#6 Post by windowmann2000 »

No post in over a week. I guess the board has done an outstanding job and answered everones questions.