New windows just installed

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Cheryl

New windows just installed

#1 Post by Cheryl »

Can someone tell me what might be the problem (if there is one) with my new windows. I Just had them installed this weekend and the picture window of my bay window (only this window out of 13) had frost built up on the outside all across the bottom and up the side about 12 inches. Is this normal or could there be a defect in the window? These are triple pane windows.

The other problem that I have is on one of the double hungs and it appears to be in the glass. I will try to discribe this as accurately as I can and hope that someone can recognize what I am talking about. In the middle of the window there is about a 6 inch wide band of kind of circular or bubbled looking raindow colored streaking. They are like a row of circles with rainbow color variations in it. Please, if any the experts on this site can be of assistance I would appreciate it. Hope to hear....

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Hey Cheryl, nice to hear you got your windows in!!! First of all the glass with ice build up on the outside. This is fine as long as it's not on the inside. I'm hoping it's not really ice but moisture. This will usually happen on the North or Northwest side of your home. Usually it's by some garden area or shrubbery. Trees in the area close to the window can also cause this. If your getting ice I may have to check with Oberon about this. He will probably see this and post anyways.
Your second issue I've seen numerous times. It baffles most people who see it. What it is, happens during the glass making process. They use suction cups to lift and move the glass around the shop. The window is usually cleaned real well before sandwiched together. Ounce in awhile it gets missed and you see the ghost from the cup. Wipe down the outside portions of your glass to make sure it's not on the exterior sides. If you find it's on the inside the manufacturer will replace it no questions asked. Hope this helps you out and I'm hope you enjoy your windows!!!

Guy

Cheryl

Guy

#3 Post by Cheryl »

Hi Guy, Thanks for your response. Just to clarify a couple things on my 2 concerns. The picture window definitly has ice (frost), not moisture. As a better discription of the frost build up on the outside is just like the very thin layer of frost on your car windows first thing in the morning after it has sat outside on a cold night. The picture window is part of a bay window, so why wouldn't it be occurring on the other two DH windows on both sides of it? Since this is the only window of 13, (6 of which are all on the same side of the house) that it is happening to, could the fact that it is the only window without a screen be a factor in any way? By the way, this window is located on the south side of my house and has no trees or shrubs anywhere near it.
To further clarify myself on the second issue, you say suction cups from glass handling? How large of circles should this be? The small circles (more like oblong shaped) that I am referring to are smaller than a dime and are in a row (ie: oooooooo). The rainbow coloring that I see creating these oblong shapes is similar to the color streaking or swirling you see when gasoline has mixed with water in a puddle on the ground. When you said suction cups, I think of larger circles than what I am seeing, so, I just want to be sure. They are definitly between the glass.

One more question, on my double hungs if you would please :) Is it typical on DH windows for the top sash to drop a little when closing the lower sash? In order for it to properly close/seal and lock, I have to push the top sash back up into place and then lock it. It seems like the top sash should somehow stay positioned when closing the bottom sash.

Any assistance is appreciated by you Guy, and hope to hear the thoughts of some of the other wonderful experts here as well. Thanks!

Dan

#4 Post by Dan »

The outside window on your bay window is the most likely to have condensation compared to your other windows. This would be the coldest window in a home. If you have a curtain that is closed in front of the bay it can make matters worse as there is humidity without the benefit of air flow.

As far as your glass, it seems to me that someone touched the low-e coating on the glass with their fingers which changes into an oily looking smear after the glass is cleaned. If it were my window I would have that changed.

On your double hung windows there are a few options. 1) If a drag adjustment can be made on the balance shoe that would help keep the top sash up. 2) If the shoe cannot be adjusted you might be able to adjust the balance if it is a spiral balance. 3)If it is a constant force balance the screw that holds the balance in place can be raised about an inch which could take care of the problem, or 4) The top balance may have to be changed to a heavier weight range.

Windowman PA

Hi Dan

#5 Post by Windowman PA »

What type of windows did you have installed? :D

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Cheryl, If the glass is sucked together in the middle and the panes are real close or even touching, a round rainbow can appear in the middle. This circle can even frost in extreme cold. I would have your window company look at it for service.

window4u@insightbb.com

Guy

#7 Post by Guy »

Hey Cheryl, It's still suction cup marks on the inside of the glass. They are al in a row. This is another type of cup system used to lift glass around. Call the window provider to have the glass replaced. Your ice build up is just like W4U said. The biggest piece of glass will attract the most heat transfer from the room. Usually this means the glass is working like it's suppose to. More than likely it will go away after the glass is stable in temperature. It may have been stored in a warm warehouse and then brought outside for installation. If so the warm air will be trapped inside the panes of glass. So this will probably go away after a week or so. The smaller windows have probably already acclimated to the temperature change. Give them a week or so to make the changes. Then see how they work.
As for the Double Hung window. It's common in most all of them. What happens is the interlocks hit when closing the windows and cause them to bang apart. Even if you wind the springs or adjust the constant force straps you will probably still have the same problem. Usually we get a heat gun and warm up the interlock so we can bend it back a bit. I've also seen the side sash locks get out of alignment. THis causes the lower sash to sit in enough to cause the interlocks to hit. Just make sure the lower sash is pushe all the way inward and locked in place. Otherwise time will cause some wear on your weatherseal inside the interlocks. This will then relax the channels and make it easier to close. You may want to also check your top sash to make sure it has all the waetherseals installed. If one is missing it can cause the window to drop prematurely.

E-Z

#8 Post by E-Z »

I agree that they may be the cup marks. If it's on the inside surface of the glass where you can wipe them clean then you will need service. If it's outside or on the inside of the house we use a drop of toothpaste and clean the glass with it, it works like a charm either that or fiberglass insulation but that can get itchy :P . I think they may be on the inside of the pane and the rainbow look was the cups touching the low e. Service call time.

E-z
www.eazywindows.com
E-z
E-z Windows

Cheryl

#9 Post by Cheryl »

Thanks a bunch everyone. Should I be able to see the circular rainbow coloring in the daytime? I originally discovered this when I was cleaning the windows the evening after installation. It was dark outside and I had the room light on (looking from inside the house out) as I was cleaning and saw it very clearly. But, when I looked yesterday during daylight, I couldn't see it. Although, I was able to see it again at night. I know this sounds strange, but, can these be seen better at certain times over another? I will have to have the contractor come see it at night in order for them to see what I am talking about.

WindowsPA -- Simonton Impressions 9800

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

If it is the problem I am describing in my post above, it might disappear when the glass heats up during the day or anytime it is warmer, which would cause the panes to seperate slightly because of gas expansion. The rainbow would dissapear until it got cold again. I am still thinking the cause of your problem is the panes are sucked together.

Cheryl

#11 Post by Cheryl »

Thanks for the great info guys! My contractor is coming out tomorrow to take a look at my concerns. I will let you know how it goes. I hope they see things like you guys do. I fear that they may not have ever heard or experienced some of this stuff before.

Windowman PA

sash

#12 Post by Windowman PA »

On some windows you can adjust your top sash :D