Jeld Wen D Series - Really drafty windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Dave DeJonge

#1 Post by Dave DeJonge »

Hey all, Just found this board. Lots of info here.

here's my question. I moved into my current home last year. It has replacement windows that are labeled jeld Wen series D windows. Can anyone shed any light onto these? they are double hung, wood with alum clading and from the one remaining label that I found they say IG/Clear/Air.
the same label also says they have a U factor of .51 and Gain of .56 and Light transmit of .57

as far as I can tell these seem like pretty poor specs. Are these builder windows or ???

THey look nice and move smoothly, but, they are very drafty. I can feel a breeze blowing from the corners and bottom and top plates. the jamb to sash connection seem air tight except where the 2 sashes meet.

THe jambs are the compression type that you have to push out in order to tilt the window in.

I looked at Jeld Wen site, but I don't know what line this D-Series falls under.

What can be done to knock down the drafts? Or is this just a crappy design?

thanks for any and all info.

Dave DeJonge

Randy

#2 Post by Randy »

Series D indicates the Norco brand, which Jeld-Wen owns. Norco is an average wood window, IMO. Not great, and unfortunately, your's are bare bones models. No Low-E coating and no Argon gas fill. (What were the prior owners thinking?)

In terms of efficiency, your windows are poor, however, if your only concern is the draftiness, that can most likely be fixed by replacing the weatherstripping where the sashes meet.

Jeld-Wen should be able to sell that to you, or direct you to their nearest distributor.

Jeld-Wen
(800) 535-3936

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

You could also buy and screw on some tight 2 track storm windows to put over them, which would boost the total air tightness and energy rating.

Dave DeJonge

#4 Post by Dave DeJonge »

Thanks for the replies.

Looking into this further, I found a spacer code number between the panes of glass. some read with an "LE" and some do not. the sticker I had found previously was on a window in the insulated, but not heated garage. I'm hoping that means that there is Low E in some of the other windows...

As for the drafts, I have tried to use weather stripping to help knock down the drafts, but it is still pretty strong. I called a local glass company to ask about having single pane storm windows made that would fit in replacement of the screens (on the ouside) They are sending someone out to take a look and give me a quote.

The glass would fit in place of the screen and not be a permannet window like most newer storm windows are.

Are there any reasons that I should not consider doing this?

Dave

tru_blue

Storm Windows

#5 Post by tru_blue »

YES there are reasons to not get a single storm window in place of the screens - MAINTENANCE and PRICE. You would have to twice a year change the storms and screens. It would be better to get a storm/screen combination. The storm would slide up and down like your double hungs. You wouldn't have to go outside to change them. Also, it is usually cheaper to get a combination than a single storm in an aluminum frame.

Norco offered storm/screen combinations for their double hung units. I'm assuming Jeld-Wen still does as well now that they've "assimilated" Norco into their product mix. Presumably you would still be able to get them, and they wouldn't even be custom sized since they were made to fit their own brand. If they're not available, you could get them made by others.

Dave DeJonge

Drafty follow up

#6 Post by Dave DeJonge »

Hey Folks, just thought I would follow up on this thread that I started

I hadn't mentioned it earlier, but 2 of the Windows that were installed have a fog between the panes of glass, I contacted Jeld Wen and they called back today.

They are going to be sending me replacement sashes for the 2 windows free of charge. They also were able to, based on the spacer code on the alumn insert determine that the windows are low E, ( its only the ones in the garage - where the last window sticker was - that are not)

I also learned that when installing the windows, if the windows are not shimmed suficiently on the sides, they can bow just enough to make the seals loose, and cause a draft. I'm willing to believe that is what is causing my drafty windows because some of the windows seem to seal just fine... Unfourtunatly, its the large west facing windows on the main floor that were installed by the shortcut artist. (The ones on the second floor work better) I have placed an order for some single pane "screen replacement" storm glass. This will cover any potential air leaks, and should really help the draft situation. I looked into the permanent storm windows but decided against that for price and appearance. 6 panes of glass with alum frames came to $360 while the storms would run closer to $480. I'm young, and can handle 30 minutes of screen/glass replacement twice each year. :)

I was extremely impressed with Jeld Wen's warrenty dept.

Dave DeJonge

earwax

#7 Post by earwax »

Jeld-Wen warranty is tranferable so your warranty should cover you for ten years from the original purchase.