Marvin Ultimate vs. Andersen Renewal

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
COSteve

Marvin Ultimate vs. Andersen Renewal

#1 Post by COSteve »

I do apologize is this has been covered before, but a scan of the forum didn't show it.

Anyway, I am looking to replace all of the windows and sliding doors in my home. After enduring countless sales pitches and estimates considering Pella, Accent (vinyl), Champion (vinyl), Traco (composite with wood interior), Andersen Renewal, Weathershield and Marvin. We have narrowed what was a long list of possibilities to Marvin and Andersen Renewal. This is quite an investment and I haven't found any great comparisons. Most of it has been our impressions of the product, prices and reputation. We live in Denver, Co, where there is altitude, drastic changes in temperature, and lots of sun to factor in. We are looking for a good quality window that will last for as long as we stay in the house (not planning on moving), have better insulating efficiency than our cheap rotten old wood windows, be easy to maintain, and look good. After considering vinyl, we just didn't like the look compared to wood. We like the features, quality, warranties and look of the Marvin and Andersen products My guess is that either windows will likely last but how can I know?

For an aluminum clad wood window, we really like the Marvin windows. The price we got was virtually identical to Pella, but the Marvin windows seem to be a much better product. The Andersen windows look very nice, come with a great warranty, and the fibrex material _seems_ like a good idea. I know that much of our satisfaction with the product lies in the installation, and that is a question mark with either product, although I have seen the Marvin dealer's work.

Any opinions would be very much appreciated. I

Randy

Marvin vs. Renewal

#2 Post by Randy »

If it was my money and my home, I would go with the Marvin Ultimate windows. The Renewal windows have too many issues being worked through, and they have not been on the market long enough to prove themselves.

You might also want to take a look at this site before making your decision.

http://my.execpc.com/~dabeemer/Renewalb ... dowWarning

Marv F

#3 Post by Marv F »

If you search the "old" message board, you will find many relatively recent opinions on this subject:

http://www.replacement-windows.com/wind ... hp?board=1

Here is an example from one of the more well-known (Pro) posters:

http://www.replacement-windows.com/wind ... 1&id=13913

COSteve

Thanks for responses.

#4 Post by COSteve »

I do like the construction and operation of the Marvin windows, as well as the local company that sells and installs them. Personally, while I like the Andersen product (though the tilt feature is far superior with the Marvin windows), what I really don't care for the sales policies. Originally their price was 44% higher than Marvin and Pella, and their estimate did not itemize the job on a per window basis, as did all the other manufacturers. After "working on the price" they have since come down to a comparable price with Marvin and Pella after being showing them the competing bids, and telling them that their product would not be considered at the higher price. This gives me a bad taste in my mouth. How can you come down in price that much? None of the other companies will negotiate their prices like this. This tells me that Andersen plays a different game and really padded their "bid". I wonder how many people would simply have paid the initial inflated price rather than negotiate. I don't mind negotiating, but this feels more like buying a car than construction products and installation. Considering that the cost is comparable to a new car, perhaps the comparision is not that far off.

That all said, the Andersen product and warranty still are appealing, but we are leaning toward going with Marvin. I think that either way, we will get a quality product that will last a long time.

The next big issue is installation...

cabernet1988

new windows

#5 Post by cabernet1988 »

Hi,
I am researching windows as well. I have a friend that sells Thermal Shields windows in PA. She (of course) think they are the best!

The company is in Ft Collins, CO. I would consider them for my house but I am buying vinyal.
Check them out.