Aluminum Clad wood windows vs. vinyl/fiberglass

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
vbhelpme

Aluminum Clad wood windows vs. vinyl/fiberglass

#1 Post by vbhelpme »

This may seem like a very basic question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere on this discussion board...

What's the downside to aluminum/vinyl clad wood windows. As I understand it, the exterior will still be mainenance free. I recognize the interior may need occasional paint. From an energy efficiency standpoint is there a problem? Are they just more expensive? Do wood windows add more value to my home than vinyl/fiberglass? Will the wood warp or cause the windows to need sooner replacing? I live in Virginia Beach which has a pretty mild climate, though it is humid in the summers if that should affect my decision.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

The only big downsides to vinyl/aluminum clad wood windows are the added cost compared to vinyl and the remaining slight possibility of rot/warp, for example if the cladding fails and allows moisture into the wood. Your warranty should cover that for a few years. Fiberglass windows will be as cheap or maybe cheaper than wood, and vinyl will almost always be cheaper than wood. Chances are that a high-quality vinyl/fiberglass window will last as long or longer than wood as well (that's why the vinyl warranties are often longer). In the right house, real wood can look and feel exceptional from inside, and in a higher end home or historic home, wood windows, or at least a real wood veneer may be the best choice. In higher end homes around here, the wood windows are often stained to match the trim in the house. You'll find that good quality wood, vinyl, and fiberglass are all energy efficient, especially if you are comparing to 1950s drafty wood windows or 1970s aluminum. Shoot for energy star windows at a minimum and compare u-factors of the stuff available to you to do better than the minimum. Good luck!

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Like InfoSponge says....price and potential for rot are you two drawbacks. If you really like the look of a wood, wood clad fiberglass is your best bet for overall durability and energy efficiency.

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

Vinyl is a more maintenance free window than wood. WOod will allow for a higher structural rating for wind loads and the such. Wood warranties and cladding warranties will depend on the manufacturer. Jeld-Wen and Sierra Pacific have the best wood warranty and the cladding warranties are usually ten years for a painted finish and 20 years for a Kynar finish.

JScott

#5 Post by JScott »

We have replaced wood and aluminum clad wood in homes 3-10 years old. We have replaced vinyl in homes 3-10 years old. There has never been a fiberglass window replaced that I know of and these have been used over the past 20 years. So the downside to these are...do you want to ever replace your windows?